Preferred tree species for rubs, bedding, etc.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Waddams

Preferred tree species for rubs, bedding, etc.

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:57 am

Anyone on here ever notice if bucks have a preferred tree species to rub on? Or if they prefer specific bush or shrub species to bed? As I'm getting to know this lease I've joined, I've noticed the following:

*95% of the rubs are on these little 1-3" trees. I think their evergreens, but there are few branches on them. They look like Charlie Brown Xmas Trees. Very scrawny things. I'm not a tree guy, I can tell an evergreen, pine in general, can spot white and red oaks now, but other than that I couldn't say what type it is. But the bucks almost exclusively rub them and nothing else.

*I actually found my very first for certain deer beds this past weekend. First one by this bush, very obvious. Pine straw pushed away, hair everywhere. I started looking at other bushes of the same species. Half of them had beds. Have not found the kind of sign by any other vegetation anywhere.

*I remember from prior experiences, scrapes were mostly opened up under the same types of tress and branches. None have opened up on the lease property yet.

So it seems like in a particular area, deer seem to develop an affinity for certain types of trees and vegetation where they lay down sign to me. Does that seem normal or right? Looking for input from guys that are more experienced. I never hunted growing up, my dad remains totally uninterested, and most friends aren't interested. I'm literally stumbling through learning by time in the woods and youtube vids and sites like THB.

Incidentally, the club guys are all nice enough, and they've all been hunting a lot longer than me. But when I ask them about bedding areas, rubs, they look at me like "what?" They've just been there since the 1970's, and they've learned where to sit to see deer, but they've never looked deeper to see why. Great group of guys personally, but when I can go wander through the woods, find rubs, old scrapes, notice the bit off stuff, and bump one out of it's bed, and the old club guy is "like, well i'd have thought there was deer bedding here!", it makes me head for the THB instead for questions like this!

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Preferred tree species for rubs, bedding, etc.

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:45 am

I would think this is very dependent upon your specific area, and how the deer use that particular property. I've seen rubs on pine, cedar, maple, beech, willow, sumac, etc.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Waddams

Unread postby Waddams » Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:32 am

Huntress13 wrote:I would think this is very dependent upon your specific area, and how the deer use that particular property. I've seen rubs on pine, cedar, maple, beech, willow, sumac, etc.

Thank you for chiming in. :)

I've seen in other areas rubs on more variety of trees. This area is the only place I've seen them only rub one type of tree. It's mainly planted timber with creek buffers that are a mix of hardwood. I figure the rubs only on one type of tree is related to how they are using the area, and maybe I can figure that out to help me hunt the property better. Maybe not but still worth thinking about to me.
Abishai

Unread postby Abishai » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:26 pm

From where I've deer hunted in Arkansas, Kansas, and Texas, most bucks as far as I can tell prefer the evergreens like stated above. Smaller pines or cedars seem to be the most popular. I've seen rubs on other trees, but not nearly as many as pines and cedars.
“If you consider an unsuccessful hunt to be a waste of time, then the true meaning of the chase eludes you all together.”– Fred Bear
Deerkins

Unread postby Deerkins » Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:34 am

Yes, some bucks prefer to rub one species of tree. And sometimes it can help you pick out a particular deers travel routes, once you start noticing what they like. We once had a buck that we were hunting, that really liked to rub sassafras trees. Every year he hit the same trees in the same area. I think they Have a certain species, that they really like the smell of.. because it seems a lot of the trees they hone in on have their own distinct smell.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”