Great day to be outside in WI 3/17/11

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Great day to be outside in WI 3/17/11

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:50 pm

Copycatting SB's posts of his scouting missions here. While most of my recently turned 21yr old buddies spend to (st pattys) in the bar, I spent my morning in the woods scouting some land in SE WI in the city limits and the afternoon fishing late ice crappies. What a day today was! As I posted a few months back I received some very LIMITED access to a piece of private land in the city limits in Waukesha County. In the town of Pewaukee. The property is 73acres in size, has the fox river running through it, as well as an abandoned railroad grade and it is bordered on the south side by I-94. Its a really crazy piece of property based on how the river winds through it and breaks it up. There is a dense stand of spruce trees that are dark as night when you get inside them bordered by a pine stand and then it contains wide open fields of crops and prairie grasses PLUS some marshy areas with trees/dogwood that thrives in those nasty wet environments. The place is for sale if the guy didn't want millions for it'd sell in a hearbeat. Anyhow the goal today was to walk the property thoroughly, figure out the deer patterns and FIND SHEDS! Well as I was creeping through the spruce forest I spotted a deer stand up in the distance shake off and mill around feeding. I snuck up on him but he spooked before I could snap a picture. He left me a present though. A fork horn shed. I continued my tour of the property finding scat and deer trails everywhere I went but never saw another deer. I did spooked multiple turkeys in multiple locations which I think will make hunting this property even harder because they seem to be everywhere. I didn't find any other sheds unfortunately but found some beds- All small. Unfortunately I still can't pin point where a good buck is bedding on this property or if there is one. Dan pointed me in the direction of a buck bedding area based on a topo map in January and it is definitely being used I just don't know how big this deer is or if he has any sort of a pattern. Enough rambling though it was a great day to be outside in WI even though I was surrounded by the city I was still able to be lost in the woods. Kind of a neat feeling. Also got out on the ice again in the afternoon and put a dozen more fat crappies in the freezer.

as it lays...

There's nothing cooler than the biggest tree in the forest....

My wandering took me to the only funnel the deer have between the north and south side of the free way. I know they feed in the corn fields to the south and I think in fall they travel through here alot.

just the little guy

I found a ton of spots with huge clumps of hair. One spot (no picture) had more hair in it than I have on my head. Are they jut ditching their winter coats?

"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
cornfedkiller
500 Club

Re: Great day to be outside in WI 3/17/11

Unread postby cornfedkiller » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Nice looking pics man! The pictures you guys are posting of the woods and scouting missions are making me jealous, as we still have over a foot of snow on the ground!

It looks like you had a pretty good day in the woods, and puttin more crappies in the freezer is always a plus!
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:59 am

Good scout, I would guess they could be losing their hair in your area.
Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:44 am

Cool scout, BWH- It'd be neat to watch a big buck trot through under the freeway, wouldn't it?

The deer are really shedding a lot right now, I'm finding a lot of hair on the trails. Those clumps may be falling out, but there's also a good chance those deer were kicking each other at a food source and the clumps fell out while shifting in a bed or travelling.

Keep the reports / scouting rolling. 8-)
Stuart
500 Club

Unread postby Stuart » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Nice find and that is a big tree... :lol:
BackWoodsHunter
500 Club

Unread postby BackWoodsHunter » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:25 pm

Sure would be neat to watch a big buck come cruising through down those tracks SB! I could see it happening during the rut sometime but I'll probably never get the opportunity to hunt this place at that time. As far as the hair it was in the weirdest spot. I took that picture looking at the bridge from the property I have to hunt which would have been behind me. THere is an abandoned set of tracks running through it and there is a ditch next to them and down off the tracks across the ditch was a big pile of fur. Like someone gave a buzzcut to a deers rump roast. No signs of bedding or real feeding there so not sure how it came off or ended up there. Too weird.

On a side note it was kind of neat Dan pointed me in the direction of some potential bedding when I blindly hunted this property and I got too close and spooked a deer from there and went back and scouted and it was definitely a bedding area- pretty awesome! Its awful hard to get inside the brain of a wise old whitetail but if you want to get as close as possible talking over some maps and sign with Dan is your best bet. Good luck scouting everyone, if the ice doesn't hold up for fishing I will probably get a little more scouting in this week!
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind." Fred Bear
Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:12 pm

Neat how it all seems to come together when you finally get to put the boot leather to the ground and see it all for yourself. Thanks for posting.
Black Squirrel
500 Club

Unread postby Black Squirrel » Tue Mar 22, 2011 4:09 am

8-) , thanks for sharing.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”