What can rubs tell us?Old/new.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: What can rubs tell us?Old/new.

Unread postby kwaldeier » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:32 pm

haha good post deer slayer :) got a few things backwards though lol i will touch them up

DEERSLAYER wrote:In another thread people mentioned how it would be nice to have something more "technical" to talk about instead of just chit chat. Well, here are the properties kwaldeier has as well as a little background on them. So have at it!

Here is an overview of property #1. (He is the only person that bow hunts both of these properties.)
I am the only one who bow hunts this besides some serious "hunters" to the west of me.

This B&W exposes some nice features. The 205 acres is only meant to represent what is in the green. Not the total acreage available to hunt.

This one he just sent me. I'm not sure how far North or South the blue and red lines go.

The lines go about as far as shown on the map!

Overview of Property #2 which is “landlocked”. This property is about five miles from the other property and is hunted by about 8-9 gun hunters There are cows in the pasture (they can go in woods) from May to October and his dad occasionally spooks deer when he goes in the woods to find his cows (other than normal farm operations which shouldn't be an issue).

And a standard topo for some more clarity.

This is from one of his recent scouting trips. The white lines are runways. Unfortunately he is concerned about hunting that east side where the two “I” markers are because of a crazy neighbor. There is also a fence along the east line with a hole in it (just below the North “I”).

Notice how the elevation changes are only in four foot intervals. They haven't hunted most of the west half. He and his dad are the only ones that hunt this piece and his dad only gun hunts. There is a neighbor that bow hunts on the SW corner (?) of their property and 4-5 gun hunters on that property also

A B&W to help make some things pop out.

Again these are four foot intervals. Not something I'm used to seeing.

I think the neighbors have two stands on the field edge along the south side and one on the west side.

And of course a standard topo.

This is from a more recent scouting trip.

[size=150]Alot of good movement during the daylight but most of it is before season. And during season it is usually scattered and not patterned!Both are from spot #2!

kwaldeier
500 Club

Re: What can rubs tell us?Old/new.

Unread postby kwaldeier » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:49 pm

Everything looks correct now lol

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”