Scout 3/15/11

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Scout 3/15/11

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:18 am

Spent today driving a few hours and finalizing my plans at a couple of buck bedding areas on heavy pressure public land and located another new one. All three of these bucks avoid trees that will hold a treestand like the plague, at least to a point. I'm excited that all three bucks are alive and well, here's hoping they make it to fall.

The new bedding area I found today I located by following the rubline of a two year old from last fall. It led me, along with his fresh tracks, to the end of a point. A three year old (next fall) on the pressured public is a target animal for me. Amazingly, I found no sign that anyone has hunted this bedding area at all. At the end of the point I noted a line of trees about fifty yards out into the beaver flooding. After wading out I found several beds the buck uses in the tree line. Moving back west to the end of the point there are two primary runs the buck uses through the cattails to get to the point... incredibly, they both file past the only tree within two hundred yards of the bedding area that will hold a stand, and they are within bow range. The deer gods were smiling on me today!

A buck bed, worn to the dirt, that a four year old moves back to when he experiences some hunting pressure. It is under a triple trunked balsam fir:

To follow this buck around I didn't need to follow rubs or tracks, his hair line on the ice took me right to his bed that I had located previously:

Dang nice track for the heavy pressure public:

Wrinkleneck
500 Club

Re: Scout 3/15/11

Unread postby Wrinkleneck » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:28 am

You have to be getting really pumped for this fall to come!! You have been busy scouting and it will pay BIG for you this fall. Thanks for sharing.
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:08 pm

Wrinkleneck wrote:You have to be getting really pumped for this fall to come!! You have been busy scouting and it will pay BIG for you this fall. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Wrinkleneck- all this scouting and preparation will at least give me the opportunity to execute the hunt this fall. 8-)
wappkid
Facebook: Brian Stucker

Unread postby wappkid » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:05 pm

Nice work
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 pm

Sounds like another productive scout .
DEERSLAYER
Super Moderator

Unread postby DEERSLAYER » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:11 pm

Nice job Bridge. The only hope that buck has is that you tag out before you can hunt him. :D Your starting to make me second guess my decision to wait until the snow is gone.
You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass.
Isoroku Yamamoto, Japanese Admiral
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Awesome job as usual SB!!! ;)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:25 am

DEERSLAYER wrote:Nice job Bridge. The only hope that buck has is that you tag out before you can hunt him. :D Your starting to make me second guess my decision to wait until the snow is gone.

Waiting until the snow is gone makes a lot of sense in most hunting areas... but in extreme, year-around heavy pressure areas with high predator populations security is the foremost priority for bucks whether it is November, February or June. Many hunters believe they have high hunting pressure...

In many of my high pressure areas, unless forced out by deep snows, buck bedding will be in the few high security zones a buck has within each square mile- and this is necessary for them all year long. They don't have the luxury of relocating their bedding closer to a winter food source... if they do they are dead, or quickly run out by a predator of some form. I should add that it takes a lot more snow than most hunters think to move a reasonably healthy buck out of his security zone.

I've had a couple of hunters ask me recently about my finding a good number of "primary" bedding areas that are used year around by the bucks... some beds are used in nearly any wind while others are routinely used with specific conditions... hunting/predator pressure has a lot to do with that. It is VERY RARE in my hunting areas for bucks to make it to their third birthday, they are almost all killed off by predators (including hunters) before then. I'm going to put up a separate post about this when I get a minute...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”