Beaver Hut Buck Bed

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Beaver Hut Buck Bed

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:33 am

I did some scouting a few years back .The sign led me into the swamp.It brought me up to a beaver dam and a huge beaver hut.I never did find that buck bed I was looking for,but It got me wondering if it was possible that buck was bedding on top of that beaver hut.On top he would,ve had an awesome vantage with the primary wind in his face and behind him solid water and cattails.But I kinda dismissed my crazy idea ,until this week. I found a story online about this guy who trailed a buck ,through the swamp right up to a beaver hut,which the buck was bedding right on top of.
As anyone else ever heard of that.

Dewey

Re: Beaver Hut Buck Bed

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:50 pm

Never found a buck bed on a beaver hut but I did find a bear denned up in a old beaver hut on a old dryed up beaver pond! :shock: :shock:
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:35 am

Hmmmm interesting, was the buck the guy was tracking wounded? The buck may have been going for water or just thinking he might be a little safer out on the beaver house vs the swamp if he was hurt.

I would think bedding on a beaver house would be a little too open and exposed for a mature buck unless there is some extra grass, cattails or cover around. I am also basing this off my bigwood beaver house experience where most of the houses are out in the open.

Like the other thread says, never say never and I could see a buck using it as a bed under the right circumstances but I'm not sure about mature bucks using them on a consistant basis. I am interested to see what others have to say about this because I do run into a lot of beaver houses.
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:18 pm

I just had to go back to that beaver hut for a another look.So went back again. It sure looks like a bed .

The hut is right along the dam .Mabey a bed not sure.Sure would be hard to sneak up on him there.Water to the NE ,E, SE, and S. Predominant wind coming from the West Northwest .
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:22 pm

any deer hair in the "bed"?
Swampthing
500 Club

Unread postby Swampthing » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:21 pm

dan wrote:any deer hair in the "bed"?

Crap ,I knew Dan was gonna ask me that.Not really,just a couple hairs ,and a some droppings.Mabey the hair all blew away right ? Ha Ha ! Mabey it,s just a beaver bed ?? I just think it would be kinda neat if a Big Swamp Buck calls it home .
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:09 am

I found a similar spot a couple weeks back, there was a little spot carved out on the dam that seemed like a perfect spot for buck bed but no sign there. Probably just a place the beavers like to hang out but this is something I will keep an eye on just in case there is a buck out there who likes to bed on a beaver house.
matt1336
500 Club

Unread postby matt1336 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:14 pm

it makes sense to me that a buck would fell safe there. I've seem them in more strange spots than that.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”