Balance between Shed Hunting and Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Swampthing
500 Club

Balance between Shed Hunting and Scouting

Unread postby Swampthing » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:19 am

I,m gettin' more and more into shed hunting.I,ve stumbled across a few while scouting buck beds.But it,s tough to do both succesfully in such a short spring time frame.Especially with wintering herds.I,m finding myself asking the question.Do I want scout for Buck Beds or find some cool sheds.Last year I burned a lot of miles looking for sheds in areas that I would,nt ever be hunting.It,s instant gratifaction at the time.But then when the season rolls around ,your kinda kicking yourself for time lost on them buck beds.
One positve however is the bigger sheds I,m finding have actually come real close to the bedding. I know there are some big antlers laying out in the picked fields.But ain,t gonna be finding any beds there.

magicman54494
500 Club

Re: Balance between Shed Hunting and Scouting

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:46 am

I never shed hunt. I prefer to scout. If I find a shed so be it.
I do this because up north finding a shed really doesn't improve my chances at shooting that deer because he probably won't be in that same area during season. If I hunted in farm country I would probably do some shed hunting.
Hodag Hunter
500 Club

Unread postby Hodag Hunter » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:49 am

magicman54494 wrote:I never shed hunt. I prefer to scout. If I find a shed so be it.
I do this because up north finding a shed really doesn't improve my chances at shooting that deer because he probably won't be in that same area during season. If I hunted in farm country I would probably do some shed hunting.

Same here. I can count on one hand he number of sheds found ....:oops:
magicman54494
500 Club

Unread postby magicman54494 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:03 am

Hodag Hunter wrote: Same here. I can count on one hand he number of sheds found ....:oops:

If you want to find sheds you need to go to wintering areas. Hunting there won't do you much good. Lately it seems the less deer are actually yarding. Some are hanging out it the same areas year round so finding a shed could actually be helpfull. My biggest buck may have wintered over where I found him in the fall. Other guys had found his past sheds in that area. It is possible that he relocated after sheding as well.
There is a good one (155 class) that was found this early winter that I believe was there all fall. I hope to get up there and scout it out this spring.
For the record, I have never found a shed on purpose so don't feel bad Hodag.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Mon Mar 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Same here.........most of the sheds I found were by accident while I was either hunting or scouting. Never found one when I was purposely looking for one.
I walked just over five miles today and never found a shed but I did find some great mature buck beds and some of the largest rubs I have ever seen.
Bucky

Unread postby Bucky » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:45 am

I do both :D Last year I was in the woods Feb-May. This year I started in Jan... It is an addiction 4 me

Picked up sheds 9, 10, 11 on the year over lunch break 2day. One of the three I recognize from multiple trail cam photos. A decent up and comer main frame 10pt
"When a hunter is in a tree stand with high moral values, with the proper hunting ethics and richer for the experience, that hunter is 20 feet closer to God." Fred Bear
Gardner Swamp
500 Club

Unread postby Gardner Swamp » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:48 am

Don't really shed hunt here.If I find a shed while scouting then it's a bonus.
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 am

Put me in the die hard scouter category, if I stumble across a shed I am happy but I am mostly focused on the deer sign when I scout. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked right past a few sheds looking at something else.
Casper
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/casper.kohlnhofer

Unread postby Casper » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:32 am

When I shed hunt to properties I have permission I find my self scouting instead of looking for sheds. If I had a really good food source ill just look for sheds. I'd rather give myself a better chance at killing a buck then finding his shed.
The Healthy Herd Pro Staff
PLB
500 Club

Unread postby PLB » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:33 am

headgear wrote:Put me in the die hard scouter category, if I stumble across a shed I am happy but I am mostly focused on the deer sign when I scout. I wouldn't be surprised if I walked right past a few sheds looking at something else.

X2!! 8-)
Obsession Bows
Lone Wolf Alpha and sticks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”