Bug Spray??

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Jackson Marsh

Re: Bug Spray??

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:01 am

headgear wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Permetherin is great for ticks. Don't put it directly on skin, treat clothes/boots only.

I'd wear a nice underlayer too, just to be safe, it does attack your nervous system and is pretty horrible stuff in large doses. Not saying one dose or small doses are toxic but if you use a lot of it for years that can add up.

Great point.

Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:14 am

Another vote for Permethrin treated clothes/ gear and a thermacell. I was so skeptical of the thermally when they first came out, but man, those things work great.
sagDE

Unread postby sagDE » Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am

Yeah, I love my thermacell. But the walk in and hanging my setup sucks because I don't turn it on until I'm set. I play the wind, but wasn't sure if bug spray was one of those odors that even the wind could not remove. I appreciate all of the info on the permethrin.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:14 am

Jackson Marsh wrote:
headgear wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:Permetherin is great for ticks. Don't put it directly on skin, treat clothes/boots only.

I'd wear a nice underlayer too, just to be safe, it does attack your nervous system and is pretty horrible stuff in large doses. Not saying one dose or small doses are toxic but if you use a lot of it for years that can add up.

Great point.

I know some guys use really strong mixes to dip their clothes, and you don’t want to mess around with concentrate if you don’t need to. But the sawyers and other ready to use mixes, I would be more concerned about the ticks than being exposed to that stuff. Permethrin is used to treat scabbies and head lice at 2x-10x the strength of that stuff and is even used on infants.

To be clear, I am not advising anyone do anything outside of the directions of the product label. But I would not let a fear of exposure stop me from using it responsibly to avoid getting tick bit!
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”