The Overlooked Spots

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Tim H
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100090396597022

The Overlooked Spots

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:59 am

Last August while doing some shining in southern WI near a public marsh I saw a pretty nice wide buck. He was on the private when I saw him and I only saw him for 30 seconds as he bounded off. But he was a good one. No doubt a slob of a buck.

After getting eyes on him I looked at the public maps to see how I could possibly get access to him. The private essentially was along the road and the public was behind the private. At the time I was considering on finding the owners and asking for permission but I never got around to it. Anyway by studying the maps I did find a strip of public that didn't have any parking by it that essentially gave me access to getting behind the private. This is way easier said than done but is possible. On this small strip I decided to check it out and see the boundaries. Essentially getting a first look at it and seeing what it looked like in person versus an aerial.

For a small patch of trees it really had some good trails in it and I found a last years rub that was pretty big! But with the amount of muddy tracks that were going through it, I didn't know how often deer would walk through it in the daylight. Just because the sign was there didn't mean it was used during shooting hours. I suspected that the deer were bedding on the adjacent private. So instead of burning up a spot and hunting it I left a trail cam to soak and see if it was even worth hunting. I also had my mind on other spots at the time. And note if I would have hunted it, it would have been a one and done spot. It was a dating the fat chick type spot because people driving along the road would spot you. No doubt would you look like an idiot. :lol:

So after getting back from PA I pulled the camera right before rifle season. To my surprise, not only did I get a few nice bucks on camera, but I got a couple daylight pics of the wide buck I shined a couple months prior! The pics aren't great but It's cool to see him again. Now I never did get around to hunting this spot but I will probably be making time this upcoming season.

146426964_1920409431441447_2728426859675341366_o.jpg

148576010_1920409411441449_8208915532100253930_o.jpg

PICT0189.JPG

PICT0190.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RiverBottoms
500 Club

Re: The Overlooked Spots

Unread postby RiverBottoms » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:57 am

Feeling Beasty! Great job finding an off the radar spot and figuring out a way to hunt it. Good luck in this spot next fall.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:20 am

RiverBottoms wrote:Feeling Beasty! Great job finding an off the radar spot and figuring out a way to hunt it. Good luck in this spot next fall.

Thanks! This spot will be interesting. So far I haven’t found any evidence of people on it. I’ll have to be sneaky where I park otherwise they’ll find me.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:35 pm

Great find :clap: :clap:
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:50 pm

Great post Tim! (northwoodswiscohuntr was so much easier) :? That's a great buck! look forward to your report of the hunt(kill) to see what method of stealthy entrance you used.
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:05 pm

Awesome
I really like getting intel like this (daylight bucks) and often use it in upcoming seasons when determine spots / timing of when and where to hunt
BRoth82
500 Club

Unread postby BRoth82 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:07 pm

That's a heck of a nice buck
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:10 pm

KLEMZ wrote:Great post Tim! (northwoodswiscohuntr was so much easier) :? That's a great buck! look forward to your report of the hunt(kill) to see what method of stealthy entrance you used.

Yeah my name was rather lengthy. Glad I changed it. :lol:
I’m looking forward to getting a cell cam in this area next year a lot earlier. There is actually a spot north of the strip where I’ll have to swim across a creek that’s actually a really good kill spot.
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:15 pm

BRoth82 wrote:That's a heck of a nice buck

When I shined him, I thought about him for a good couple weeks. A really cool buck!
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:33 pm

Do you plan to scout this a bit more this off-season to find out where he is bedding? Or are you pretty positive he is bedding on the private? Also could be a rut bed that he was using judging by the timeframe?
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:44 pm

UncleBuck3268 wrote:Do you plan to scout this a bit more this off-season to find out where he is bedding? Or are you pretty positive he is bedding on the private? Also could be a rut bed that he was using judging by the timeframe?

I will continue to scout this area and learn it better. Where I spotted him in August was around a half mile down the road. I’m assuming he is on the private. That is if he’s alive. In the pre rut, the bucks travel this piece looking for does. Essentially a corridor. I’m actually a little surprised though of the day movement in this spot. That’s why I put the camera out. I didn’t want to waste time on it until I knew if it was worth it.

If I want to get behind the private where he was, it’s gonna be quite the adventure through the marsh! That’s where I’d also predict the bedding. But I won’t know until I actually get back there.
UncleBuck3268
500 Club
Facebook: NONE

Unread postby UncleBuck3268 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 1:57 pm

Keep us posted with your scouting and best of luck to you! I’m interested to hear how this one plays out. Great find by the way. :clap:
Lockdown

Unread postby Lockdown » Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:35 pm

Tim H wrote:
UncleBuck3268 wrote:Do you plan to scout this a bit more this off-season to find out where he is bedding? Or are you pretty positive he is bedding on the private? Also could be a rut bed that he was using judging by the timeframe?

I will continue to scout this area and learn it better. Where I spotted him in August was around a half mile down the road. I’m assuming he is on the private. That is if he’s alive. In the pre rut, the bucks travel this piece looking for does. Essentially a corridor. I’m actually a little surprised though of the day movement in this spot. That’s why I put the camera out. I didn’t want to waste time on it until I knew if it was worth it.

If I want to get behind the private where he was, it’s gonna be quite the adventure through the marsh! That’s where I’d also predict the bedding. But I won’t know until I actually get back there.

Curious what else you got for movement on that cam? Daylight activity from all deer? Wide one come through at night?
Tim H
500 Club

Unread postby Tim H » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:07 pm

Lockdown wrote:
Tim H wrote:

Curious what else you got for movement on that cam? Daylight activity from all deer? Wide one come through at night?

The wide one came through at night another time. There were some small bucks in the daylight with some does and fawns. The night movement there was also some nice 2 1/2 year olds. I was actually surprised how many different bucks were in this area for the short time I had the camera out.
tgreeno
500 Club

Unread postby tgreeno » Wed Feb 10, 2021 3:14 pm

Nice find Tim!

I typically come to realize that my "overlooked" spots, aren't as overlooked as I originally thought. :?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid, than to open it an remove all doubt

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”