Beast tactics in a densely wooded swamp?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIswampdweller20

Beast tactics in a densely wooded swamp?

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:48 am

I’m in the process of rescouting some of my old haunts while applying some of my recent education in beast hunting, but am struggling a bit with the translation from concise edges or transitions to the consistently thick wet jumble I am up against in my area. There is some intermittent somewhat higher ground, but it’s understory is dense as there are very few mature canopy type trees. Also, it’s where other hunters tend to be set or traverse on- which seems to negate the prime bedding. It is essentially a maple and ash swamp, with thick patches of speckled alder with one or two oaks spared by logging on each dry hump. It houses some good mature animals, but has been a major challenge to pattern movement as there are really no very distinct land features and it is a considerable distance from any obvious food sources, such as ag land, or oak hardwoods. They seem to browse on grasses and buds and to travel somewhat arbitrary routes throughout the swamp. I’ve also found enough corn in the animals I’ve taken to know that at some points they are making the 2 mile commute to the nearest ag land- or someones doing some illegal baiting, but it’s too far to predict travel routes on that basis . The deer are also extremely skittish and even does won’t enter the few somewhat open areas during daylight outside of pre-rut phases. During peak rut it gets quiet. I’ve always suspected the big buck bedding was on somewhat random root clusters and tiny (barely deer sized) islands in the wet areas. I’ve had many experiences where splashes and even breaking ice occurred abruptly right at last light, very near me with no gradual approach- which led me to conclude they had just stood up in the midst of it. I need some help with what type of micro land features to key in on, when there’s nothing very obvious. It’s been a perplexing property for 25 years, I’m hoping with this new knowledge I can finally crack the code. Also, I’ve recently followed the sign of what appears to be a giant into the edge of the one dense cedar swamp in the area, only between each root clump is waste deep water and it’s virtually impossible to approach or enter quietly- additionally difficult to decipher where in the cedars, if at all, he might be bedding. If anyone has any insights as to how I might adopt beast tactics in this sort of terrain I’d appreciate it.

Trout
500 Club

Re: Beast tactics in a densely wooded swamp?

Unread postby Trout » Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:23 am

Check out the podcasts Singing Bridge has done, google Scott Shawl podcast and a few will pop up. Also search his posts here on the beast forum. Dan's swamp bedding dvd is also excellent and really helped me simplify my scouting in dense northern MI cedar and other conifer swamps.
WIswampdweller20

Unread postby WIswampdweller20 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 am

Trout wrote:Check out the podcasts Singing Bridge has done, google Scott Shawl podcast and a few will pop up. Also search his posts here on the beast forum. Dan's swamp bedding dvd is also excellent and really helped me simplify my scouting in dense northern MI cedar and other conifer swamps.

Awesome, will do! I only have his older one, relating more to marshes- good info for when I travel, but the terrain here in northeast WI is unique. I’ll get that one ordered. Thanks!
Swedishbowhunter
500 Club
Location: South East Wisconsin hunts SE,SW, & Northcentral wi

Unread postby Swedishbowhunter » Tue Jan 05, 2021 12:17 pm

Here is a link to the discussion thread, viewtopic.php?f=295&t=30968

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”