Infamous buck at the parking lot

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

PublicLandOwner529

Infamous buck at the parking lot

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:31 am

Got a little time after work yesterday to do a short scouting trip. I have been driving past this certain spot for a couple years and I have seen people hunt it, but have never seen anyone hunt close to the parking lot. It is a transition area between a marsh and hardwood ridges.
So I get down in through the thick stuff and as expected the last 10 yards before the marsh, and 10 yards into the marsh there are trails parallel to the edge. Rubs absolutely everywhere, historic and fresh. Go out to a small tree I can see in the cattails....you guessed it, buck bed. Recently used too, I’d say within a week.
Followed a trail out of the bed back into the thick transition edge, and about 100 yards later I bumped atleast two does. That’s when I stopped and headed back to the truck. I’ll scout it harder after hunting ends this year, but it was pretty awesome. Was never further than 150 yards from the parking lot. This is my first infamous beast style parking lot buck that I’ve found, I’m newer to the beast style. Just thought it was a cool story, the only question I have is does this sound like a rut bed, or more of a permanent bed? I initially thought permanent bed, but then bumping those does, one could have been young and in heat, hence the bed being used within the week...
What do you beasts think?

Ryan549
500 Club

Re: Infamous buck at the parking lot

Unread postby Ryan549 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:36 am

I think people would be amazed- myself included- at how close deer are to humans daily. You don’t have be 7 miles deep, sometimes you just have to stop and look around.
A bedded deer is difficult to see, unless you are specifically looking for one. So in the excitement of people getting out of their vehicles and hoofing it in to their spot, we fail to pay attention to what is right next to us. Amazing animals.
Ryan
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:49 am

Exactly. And I know I’m guilty of it too. I think the key here is that I’ve watched this spot for years, and seen people everywhere on this property EXCEPT for this small area....the deer are where the humans won’t go. And even though it is close to the parking lot, it was extremely hard to get in there. No idea how I’m going to hunt it yet, but with more scouting I think I’ll piece it together. Maybe atleast get an encounter with him
Wolfie417
Facebook: brett wolf

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:51 am

Sounds like a great spot. I shot a buck out of very similar bedding in 2018.
Wolfie417

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:53 am

One thing you can do to see if its a primary bed or just a rut bed is to just do observation at multiple times of the year. Maybe go walk to the bed in the summer to see if you can jump him. Or if you can glass from the road or shine you could see him coming or going.
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 6:12 am

Thanks for the pointers Wolfie. Glassing this spot is pretty much impossible, it has incredible cover. But shining is definitely going to be something I do for this spot, as well as seeing if I can bump him in the off season. Also found the tallest rub I’ve ever seen in my life leading into this spot. To say I got pretty excited is an understatement. It’s just one of those spots that I knew had to have a buck bed. I literally walked right to it, it was exactly where I thought it would be.
Wolfie417

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:10 am

PublicLandOwner529 wrote:Thanks for the pointers Wolfie. Glassing this spot is pretty much impossible, it has incredible cover. But shining is definitely going to be something I do for this spot, as well as seeing if I can bump him in the off season. Also found the tallest rub I’ve ever seen in my life leading into this spot. To say I got pretty excited is an understatement. It’s just one of those spots that I knew had to have a buck bed. I literally walked right to it, it was exactly where I thought it would be.

I feel yah. The spot i shot that buck at is super thick too. Always had a hunch about the spot and then I glassed a buck crossing the road there. And more deer. Id be exited about a spot like that. Usually when I find a spot that everything lines up I at least have some sort of encounter and I learn something.

The bed i shot my 2018 buck from is not a primary bed. It is a rut bedding area. Bucks are in there every year from Halloween to nov6ish. After that and before that I never even find good sign in the spot. So even if its not a primary bed dont give up on the spot. Id check it frequently to find out when exactly they pile in.
Good luck with the spot. Hope to see you in the kill zone with that buck next year!
PublicLandOwner529

Unread postby PublicLandOwner529 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:45 am

That’s awesome, and thanks! And I definitely won’t give up on this spot. It’s definitely the type of area that if I or someone else kills him, or I blow him out, another buck is just going to move right in. Plus I have other buck beds that I’ve already confirmed bucks in for next year too, so I can hunt those, and keep an eye on this spot, and when I think he’s in there move in for the kill. Or atleast know more for the following year.
I’d be super happy with just an encounter to learn from.
Wolfie417

Unread postby Wolfie417 » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:08 am

PublicLandOwner529 wrote:That’s awesome, and thanks! And I definitely won’t give up on this spot. It’s definitely the type of area that if I or someone else kills him, or I blow him out, another buck is just going to move right in. Plus I have other buck beds that I’ve already confirmed bucks in for next year too, so I can hunt those, and keep an eye on this spot, and when I think he’s in there move in for the kill. Or atleast know more for the following year.
I’d be super happy with just an encounter to learn from.

Yup you can bet as long as it doesn't get over pressured there's always gonna be a buck in there. Every year there is a buck using the bedding I spoke of. I almost killed another there in 2019. Had him at 25 yards while gun hunting. Just wayyyy too thick. He knew something was up and didn't come out. I think iwas too loud on the set up.
But yeah I think you're gonna have some good times in that spot
STIKnSTRING

Unread postby STIKnSTRING » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:42 pm

I walked in on a big one bedded 75 yards from a parking lot in mid October 2018. Didn’t even have my bow with because I was just going to hang a camera. He just looked at me for about 3 minutes, got up and walked away. I only hunt that spot maybe once a year, but every year I know there’s a buck in there. I do have a creek I can access to the spot and his bed was 60 yards from the tree I hunted out of. Everything lines up for me to kill a good a nice one each year, I just haven’t connected yet

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”