Interesting Study on summer buck behavior

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MichiganMike
500 Club

Interesting Study on summer buck behavior

Unread postby MichiganMike » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:09 am

Was reading a study about summer buck behavior. It was stating how bucks actually spend the summer in open areas free of thick timber and brush that will damage their velvet. They also bed in open areas in visible view of each other to assess dominance. the subordinate bucks avoid eye contact of the dominate buck. It even goes as far to say that the subordinate bucks actually groom the dominant buck by licking his neck and shoulders.As summer ends, the subordinates flee and the dominant buck stays. What your thoughts on This? Anyone experience this behavior? or seen buck beds in open areas summer scouting?

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Interesting Study on summer buck behavior

Unread postby Hawthorne » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:46 am

They like large CRP areas in summer near food and water near where they will be in fall and winter. They like the tall grass to bed in.Get my best summer pics in these areas.
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:11 pm

Do you have a link to the study or reference?
Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
Eddiegomes83
500 Club

Unread postby Eddiegomes83 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:33 pm

I agree with most of what you said. I see alot of beds this time of year in the open as well as bucks in velvet in the open. From what i understand, bucks spend a lot of time in the open for the sunlight to help stimulate antler growth. Their antlers need a lot of sunlight because their antlers grow through photosynthesis. But that is just something i read a long time ago when i noticed a lot of bucks in open areas in the middle of the day here in the hot florida sun. I was trying to figure out why they were hanging out in the open in 100 degree weather with 100 percent humidity and not chillin in the shade.
"Am I the Only One" - Aaron Lewis

EGOutdoors youtube: https://youtube.com/channel/UClk54pzxS6MsnSTCOtTvKJg

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”