How would you access this bed on farm land?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Big Buck Brian

How would you access this bed on farm land?

Unread postby Big Buck Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:16 am

Could you guys please help me figure out the best way to access this bedding area?

This is around 40 acre corn field that hasnt been planted on in 3 years. The weeds and plants have grown in pretty good by now.

Red - property line

Green - food plot

Yellow - Known buck bed

I know typically these bucks will disappear come opening day in Michigan but the last couple years they seem to stay in summer patterns for a week or so. I need to strike early if I'm going to get this big buck.

I really appreciate everyone's time and feedback.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: How would you access this bed on farm land?

Unread postby Hawthorne » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:30 am

If your screened well by the high weeds walking in to where he can’t see you from the bed you could set up on the food plot in the fence row. Come in from the East. Only 40acres he could make it there in daylight. Not walking on the west side of the fencerow you might just be out of sight
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:02 am

Are you planning on hunting morning or evenings and what is the prevailing wind normally? Morning hunt Is hunt just a off wind from the bed working threw the wood lot if it’s evening I’d hunt the food plot working the hedgerow as low as possible.... again I’d only access and hunt on the perfect wind and that’s the perfect wind for the deer not you
oldrank

Unread postby oldrank » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:04 am

If he is coming out of that bed into the old corn field and you have a consistent pattern on him doing that, I would get a good wind and loop around and belly crawl till I was right in front of him and kill him from the ground. You are only going to have one or two good chances so make it count.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:27 am

backstraps wrote:On your parcel... for him to bed there. I assume he Beds there with some type of S SW W winds.

So that would be first on my list to make sure the wind is correct (unless you have a visual observation(s) of him exiting there underneath other or all winds

My next question... do you have confirmation, either visual or trail cam pics of him going to the plot just before dark? Assuming of course you’re going in for an evening attempt.

So if the bedding is wind specific (most likely) id guess SW to be most common and he is coming to the plot....
Use the high over grown grass between his bed and the plot to your advantage.

If the field between the plot and the bed DOES NOT have a “low spot” then id enter from the south east road get as close to the bed in a tree with out him picking you off while you climb. So being high in a tree may not be an advantage.

IF there is a low spot between the plot and bed...the last light thermals will draw to that low spot. Do not set up where your falling thermals will get into that thermal draw towards the low spot or he will most likely wind you before he gets into range.

IF YOU HAVE NOT SIT ANY OBSERVATION SITS YET, I would get some where along one of those roads and see if you can catch him moving at last light. Probably not going to be able with the high grass I like the area circled in blue IF thats within bow range. IF not you may have to move closer to his bed. A ground ambush like old rank said may be the best chance. I think you may only get one or two cracks at him
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:32 am

My second choice would be any wind from the South to the NW and hunt along this tree line (circled in black) just inside the woods far enough to keep the winds from bouncing of the treeline and taking your scent back to the ground. I would enter from the southern road too
dirt nap giver

Unread postby dirt nap giver » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:36 am

oldrank wrote:If he is coming out of that bed into the old corn field and you have a consistent pattern on him doing that, I would get a good wind and loop around and belly crawl till I was right in front of him and kill him from the ground. You are only going to have one or two good chances so make it count.

What he said!
It’s Michigan, sitting back hasn’t given me many photo ops
hard work trumps talent, when talent fails to work hard
Big Buck Brian

Unread postby Big Buck Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:43 pm

The path in the attached pic is how the bucks usually travel to the food plot come early October. The buck is shot last year came in on the 1at and 5th on that route. The problem with that food plot is the bug bucks never leave the north west side of the plot. I passed on opening day because he didnt come close than 38 yards. When he did the same thing on the 5th I knew I was going to have to make the further shot. I was set up in a ground blind on the hedgerow (running north and south).

This buck is definitely older and I'm concerned with him making an appearance on the plot in shooting light. I've been glassing him leaving the bedding area on the same route as the pic attached but not leaving it by more than 30 yards. He's just milling around browsing on weeds and plants. My food plot doesn't go in until for a couple more weeks so maybe his behavior will change then.

Would entering his bedding area at anytime of the day be wise if he doesnt show up to the plot in daylight? It's decently thick in there and he beds right behind a downed tree. I would assume hes moving in there during the day. I cant prove it's his primary bed and not just a staging bed before feeding in the evening.
Big Buck Brian

Unread postby Big Buck Brian » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:44 pm

I forgot to add this pic
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:54 pm

Glass him and pattern the buck - let him tell you where you can kill him from..
As oldrank said your best bet just may end up being from the ground.
<DK>
500 Club

Unread postby <DK> » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:45 am

Big Buck Brian wrote:I forgot to add this pic

I agree w Backstraps on initial setups he posted but this pic is exactly what I was suspecting he would do if the weeds are tall. I do like oldranks idea to ground hunt him. Smart deer.

Do you know everything about that block hes living in? If the field is tall he could be there on Northerly winds as well, watching the woodlot vs watching the field. If its been weeds for 3 years then check google earth, back date and see if the trails through the weeds are visible. Also, dont discount bedding right over the line on the other properties.

Im gravitating towards accessing from the West side, setting up on the west side of his exit trail on the edge of that block. A lot depends on what you know about the woodlot, your confidence in the deers habits, tree selection and how quiet you are setting up tight to deer. Sometimes being so aggressive isnt necessary but you could sneak in and stay on the ground as well. Maybe try a conservative setup based on your food plot first, then get aggressive. His block would be a great ambush spot in the morning but not early season which makes it that much tougher. Monitor his habits and decide later. Also consider where he can get a drink of water.

It all depends on what it actually looks like vs what how I imagine it. Sweet spot though, good luck
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:04 am

A ground ambush from the NW corner of the food plot

Maybe enter from 153 head south, cut west across the top of the plot and set up on the ground to be able to shoot along the western border of the plot?

I think you have him pegged good if he got a pass twice from you

Hope to see hero pics on opener from ya
Big Buck Brian

Unread postby Big Buck Brian » Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:43 pm

Thanks for all of the insight guys, I really appreciate it. Hopefully I can get a crack at him and share some photos.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”