Swamp scouted yesterday. (Pic heavy)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Swamp scouted yesterday. (Pic heavy)

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:21 pm

Decided to dive into a swamp yesterday to this one lone tree that was maybe 8” diameter that was maybe 180 yards off hard land..it’s not a cattail swamp it’s a floating peat moss waterbed feeling small low growing woody tangled brush that grows in water. Holy smokes took 2 hours to poke and work my way out to that tree.. being a extremely dry summer I can not imagine getting out there on a wet fall...
at the base of the tree was the biggest muskrat house I’ve ever seen... no sign of deer out there which was rather very disappointing but of course everything is water except for that one tree ..but no prints no hair no rubs... I believe my next step will be to try and work the edge of the swamp and hardwoods.. I give a ton more credit and appreciation to the men that hunt those type of swamps! Any suggestions on the next step to locate deer?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Singing Bridge
500 Club
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1329617473

Re: Swamp scouted yesterday. (Pic heavy)

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:11 am

Great job on the effort to get out to that tree...

There could be a buck bed there that isn't really visible right now if you have a high water table, I know in my home area a lot of the bog beds are under water that I can typically see.

If there are no other trees anywhere in that bog it probably isn't great for buck bedding. Even a few trees here and there would be better.

This type of bedding is probably the most overlooked buck bedding there is. Big, mature bucks will bed in bogs like that and it isn't an absolute requirement that it has a tree but it sure helps. Any dry spot has the potential for buck bedding. Those bogs look relatively flat to us but they are not, they roll up and down slightly and a buck can tuck in to a dry spot between the folds an no one will ever... ever know he is there.

Fall and early winter, along with spring will have bucks bedding in bogs especially in high hunter pressure areas / high predator population areas (wolf, lynx, coyote etc.). Other times of the year have too much thermal exposure, whether its too much heat or too much cold.

Mature buck bog bedding is really the final frontier of wetland buck bedding... and there isn't anything of any great detail regarding it out there.

Bridge
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:18 am

Forgot to add, if you click on my Singing Bridge Outdoors post I recently added a video of me walking up on a dead head in a bog... lots more to come on bog bedding.
Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sun Jul 12, 2020 1:11 am

I’ve had your YouTube channel saved on watch later for when I get time to watch! Might just have to make today the day to watch!!
Singing Bridge
500 Club

Unread postby Singing Bridge » Sun Jul 12, 2020 2:19 am

Seeker529 wrote:I’ve had your YouTube channel saved on watch later for when I get time to watch! Might just have to make today the day to watch!!

Thanks, I just started fooling around with that. If there's anything I think is of value, it will be posted here on the Beast !!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”