Big Woods Clear Cut

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Big Woods Clear Cut

Unread postby Cchez » Fri May 29, 2020 4:00 am

Got around to scouting another area that had been on my mind finally. This clear cut is 1.5 years old, and I know the area has some pretty good bucks hanging around. My initial plan was to access from the SW and scout my way along the clearcut edge. Right off the bat I found a good trail right on the edge of the cut just inside the tree line, so I followed it north until I found more sign. As you can see from the pictures, all the red circles are areas of interest to hunt, or rubs/scrapes/crossings. I marked the beaver ponds and creeks in blue. I only made it to the NW corner before the wife was calling me to come home and help with our wild toddler, still need to check out the whole northern and Eastern edges, which I really want to get to as there's a large conifer swamp. This area is relatively flat, and it appears the bedding is near the thick areas where the beavers dammed the creek. All the rubs i found were leading out of that area into the clear cut. The areas I marked with large red circles seem to be staging areas with good numbers of bur oaks that they munch before hitting the cut after dark. Here's some pics of the sign I found. Hopefully I can get a good one out of here come fall. Judging by a couple rubs, it appears there was at least 1 good one in there last fall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Uncle Lou

Re: Big Woods Clear Cut

Unread postby Uncle Lou » Fri May 29, 2020 12:26 pm

Good luck, I once read that clear cuts are ag fields of the north. Can't get that out of my head
Silence Your Gear with Stealth Strips®
http://www.stealthoutdoors.com
funderburk
500 Club

Re: Big Woods Clear Cut

Unread postby funderburk » Sat May 30, 2020 11:46 pm

Uncle Lou wrote:Good luck, I once read that clear cuts are ag fields of the north. Can't get that out of my head

Being from South Carolina, I would agree with that statement wholeheartedly.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”