Found a nice buck bed... now what?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Wingnut289

Found a nice buck bed... now what?

Unread postby Wingnut289 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:10 am

@Dan

I did some boots on the ground on an island that I had cyber scouted this winter. Long story short I found three distinct signs of a buck in the area. The area has a big beaver pond and three islands connected loosely by some alder patches and clumps of trees. I went onto the smallest island first, didn’t find much. Went to the biggest island next, found one bed and some small rubs scattered around. Went to the middle aspen island and a really nice rub on a 5 inch aspen. Back tracked to the smallest island and I found his bed that I missed the first time I walked thru. My question is when I go to the hunt this, should I enter through the west side and hunt the narrow strip first? Or should I enter the big island from the East and try to sneak to the aspen island in the middle? The bed on the East big island was not heavily used, so I think it’s a satellite bed but I’m not sure. My travel route is marked in purple. Beds and rubs marked on the map with a possible tree in the narrow strip to the west. Thank you.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

matt1336
500 Club

Re: Found a nice buck bed... now what?

Unread postby matt1336 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:19 am

I’d go with an outside in approach. You don’t know what he’s really doing till you’re able to get eyes on him. Observation/a place close to your access that you think is safe and make your moves with the info you learn if you don’t kill him right away.
Unless there’s a lot of pressure around there. If you think other guys are going to get in there take your best guess and go for it.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”