Vantage POINTS

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Vantage POINTS

Unread postby funderburk » Sat May 16, 2020 4:48 am

There seems to be a specific land feature that mature bucks regularly gravitate towards based on the advantage they offer — points. With that in mind, I thought it would be helpful to start a thread solely dedicated to discussing points of all kinds.

So, whether it be a ridge point in hill country or a timber point jutting out into the swamp, what are your favorite kind of points and why?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Hawthorne
500 Club

Re: Vantage POINTS

Unread postby Hawthorne » Sat May 16, 2020 8:35 am

I was thinking most of my good spots are a point in some shape or form. I shot my buck last year coming out of a low point of small trees and brush surrounded by old field habitat. I have found sheds in that particular point also. Of course low hunting pressure and thick cover is the two ingredients I look for. Plus new rubs and historic rubs in the point also
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Mon May 18, 2020 9:33 pm

Yep. Points of all kinds seem to get them to a spot that is 1) a safe distance away from pressure, and 2) in the best position to hear, see, or smell danger coming from a good ways off. I’d also add that they offer great escape routes.

When I hear the age old question, “Where would you hide if someone was coming after you”, I’m pretty sure a point of some kind would offer me the best vantage point to detect an approaching threat.

Would love to see this thread get some more input. I bet there are some great Beast “point lessons” to be learned :lol:
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Tue May 19, 2020 3:34 am

Hill country- Ive found good bedding on spur ridges, especially when they provide a vantage to the main ridge's point. The best ones don't show up on topos.

Found a new one this past winter in a 20 year old clearcut, replanted in pines and full of multifloral rose. The beds looked across to the main ridges oak point, which also had signs of occasional hunter access. Scrape lines along the paralell spur ridges dropping down into a thermal hub. Had a lot of converging topo features and habitat transitions tying it all together.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Tue May 19, 2020 3:58 am

I saw a good point into a swamp this weekend. It was brushy and nasty even without leaves up, but there was a narrow corridor about 50 yards long that was lined with rubs on both sides. Never saw anything like it. A few trails from the swamp converged on the tip of the point. Early season with all the leaves up might be killer because of how hidden it is, which makes me think it is might be used during some daylight, unlike the ones on the edge of open fields. But that point is the key to everything.

EDIT: and like Evan's post, it had an area right when it opened up that had a bowl that dumped down from all directions, making it a thermal hub. Tough to hunt, but it will be fun to try.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Wed May 20, 2020 4:52 am

Oxbow function very much like a ridge point I believe.
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”