First balloon

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Huntress13
500 Club

First balloon

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:50 pm

Found my first balloon. Was walking this field edge looking for sheds and bumped a deer. It was only 20 or so yards in the woods from the edge. On the leeward side of this nob. There was a stiff west wind.

20200409_181050.jpg

20200409_181603.jpg

20200409_182409.jpg
20200410_203518.jpg

My hand isn't as big as your probably, but looks pretty good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Twigs in my hair, don't care.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: First balloon

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:57 pm

:D :clap:
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:09 pm

:D :D Now if you balloon spot turns out to be a good one... you will be a balloon theorist believer too :lol:

I really do have a couple spots that are "KILLER" spots that I have found balloon near by. I have to laugh now anytime I find a balloon in the woods
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:31 pm

The problem is figuring out how to set up on it. He probably stays right there and then walks a few steps into the field to eat. The west side of the slope is really heavy brush and briars. Could hide in the corn maybe on a windy day and cut a hole to shoot through.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:36 pm

Huntress13 wrote:The problem is figuring out how to set up on it. He probably stays right there and then walks a few steps into the field to eat. The west side of the slope is really heavy brush and briars. Could hide in the corn maybe on a windy day and cut a hole to shoot through.

Being that close to the edge, can he see from there into the field? If so I could see him bedding there under a South Wind. I would try and hunt near one of the corners if they would be within bow range if he walked straight into the field from the red spot. I like the eastern edge of the field if you could stay out of his sight.
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 1:58 pm

backstraps wrote:
Huntress13 wrote:The problem is figuring out how to set up on it. He probably stays right there and then walks a few steps into the field to eat. The west side of the slope is really heavy brush and briars. Could hide in the corn maybe on a windy day and cut a hole to shoot through.

Being that close to the edge, can he see from there into the field? If so I could see him bedding there under a South Wind. I would try and hunt near one of the corners if they would be within bow range if he walked straight into the field from the red spot. I like the eastern edge of the field if you could stay out of his sight.

I think he can probably see into the field even after things green up. There are some bushes along the edge but not really thick. It's just a little too far of a shot with a bow for me from the east corner. And you can't see the spot from the west corner because it's over the top of the hill. Maybe.. if you were up in a tree near the crest.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:08 pm

I can see where that would be a challenge. If you were to try and get in a tree at the crest, I am assuming you would be able to see you, or even skyline you.

Sounds like a place I would give some prep to once the field edge gets grown up. Maybe an afternoon ghillie suit ground ambush??

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”