The impact of a healthy coyote herd

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

may21581
500 Club

The impact of a healthy coyote herd

Unread postby may21581 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:53 am

One piece of public that generally held big bucks before was somewhat of a bust this past season. When running trailcams my intel was telling me the mature bucks were coming from greater distances and for the most part nocturnal. I know why for the most part them being mostly nocturnal due to the obvious reasons on public but in seasons past there has always been more sign and sightings during the season.
So when in there scouting this spring I couldn't help to notice the amount of dead deer I had found. I know it was coyotes because there was not a bone to be found but maybe several here and there. I have also found their tracks in the snow and their scat which contained mostly deer hair. I have found about 6 dead deer in a area about the size of 500 acres. These are just the ones I found and I'm sure there is more.
So my question is I know coyotes hunt deer and they are a predator. Is this normal to find deer like this or is this sounding like a problem for this area? They all looked to be smaller deer by what bones I did find. Could this be an obvious reason why the mature bucks avoided this area this year or do the coyotes not seem to bother the mature bucks?

"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Re: The impact of a healthy coyote herd

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:44 pm

Younger deer panic and often run into the pack.
Some Coyote packs are very strategic in how they hunt.

One or two circle and the rest of the pack waits in thick brush to ambush in the direction they think the deer will go.

Single yotes get fawns but I doubt many larger deer.

6 deer in a area does sound like alot possible Ehd? Panther or Wolves?

Mature bucks may be avoiding the area due to a coyote den in the area. Any intelligent deer smelling constant predator urine in a area would be on high alert and probably avoid the area.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
brancher147
500 Club

Re: The impact of a healthy coyote herd

Unread postby brancher147 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 11:50 pm

If there is good deer habitat then coyotes shouldn’t be much of a problem for deer. Studies have shown roughly same amount of deer and fawns die with or without coyotes. Coyotes mostly get sick or injured deer that would die anyway. If you got a bunch of dead deer probably got something else going on other than coyotes.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”