Buck or doe bed?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Shakeandbake

Buck or doe bed?

Unread postby Shakeandbake » Sat Mar 07, 2020 3:05 pm

So I’m new to the forum and I have been scouting a lot recently and finding some good beds. Aside from the big bed areas that all blend together (I’m assuming are big doe beds). How do you know if a lone bed is a buck or a doe? Will there all ways be rubs leading from the bed or escape routes? I’m leasing a property that is big open timber and super thick briars and that’s where I find the bedding most of the time. Any advice helps, thanks guys.

NEMAD

Re: Buck or doe bed?

Unread postby NEMAD » Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:10 am

I'm no expert and new here as well but I would say the size of the bed and its location in respect to doe bedding would be a key indicator. It's been said in several posts here and a few of Dan's videos that a mature buck may not leave much sign or any if there is little competition from other bucks in the area. Another thing to key in on would be size of tracks going to and from the bed. There are a lot more well informed folks here than myself but a common statement I keep seeing/hearing is "you'll know it when you see it".
"A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be."

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”