Buck beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mopar1169
500 Club

Buck beds

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:27 pm

I have heard it talked about before that the lower mature buck density there can be less sign. The area I live in has a pretty low mature buck population. It has been getting alittle better the last couple years but still low density. Is there always rubs in buck beds? I found a few beds with rubs in them but I think they are more rut beds based on the location of them. But most the single big beds I find in the right type of security to a mature deer don't have rubs in them. But they have large rubs within 50 yards leading to the bed or leaving them and most of times scrapes close by also. I was following a good 3.5 finger fresh set of tracks last weekend tracked it right to one of beds. Same thing nothing close to bed but big rubs within 50 yards in all 3 directions surrounded by water. Was curious what others are seeing in low mature buck density areas.

backstraps

Re: Buck beds

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:49 pm

Mopar1169 wrote:I have heard it talked about before that the lower mature buck density there can be less sign. The area I live in has a pretty low mature buck population. It has been getting alittle better the last couple years but still low density. Is there always rubs in buck beds? I found a few beds with rubs in them but I think they are more rut beds based on the location of them. But most the single big beds I find in the right type of security to a mature deer don't have rubs in them. But they have large rubs within 50 yards leading to the bed or leaving them and most of times scrapes close by also. I was following a good 3.5 finger fresh set of tracks last weekend tracked it right to one of beds. Same thing nothing close to bed but big rubs within 50 yards in all 3 directions surrounded by water. Was curious what others are seeing in low mature buck density areas.

The short answer is NO.

Beds you are finding WITH rubs maybe or could be an indicator that bed is being used during the rut. A buck can rub anytime he is hard antlered, but in my opinion the most rubbing will occur during the rut stages.

The fact you are finding good security wind based bedding without rubs, may simply be due to the fact there isnt a lot of competition in the area

I am from a very low deer density area too
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:43 pm

Some buck beds do not have rubs.

I've seen beds with no rubs but a scrape within sight of the bed several times.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:59 pm

Most buck beds I find have no rubs in them. But there will be sign close by.

I found a buck bed the other day with a broken pine sapling in it. There were a bunch of rubbed and broken off pine saplings about 150 yards away.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:56 am

Where I have seen more rubs in beds has been where there are more mature bucks and less available bedding. Like some hill country with ag in the valleys.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:55 am

Thanks guys. The couple beds I did find with rubs definitely looked like rut bedding. Predominantly down wind from big doe bedding areas. Just off a thick edge. The other beds were really close to where I expected them to be based on cyber scouting. Did find a surprise one following tracks in the snow. I got one more area that I want to walk before green up maybe tomorrow if I can get my project I am working on done.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Mopar1169 wrote: I was following a good 3.5 finger fresh set of tracks last weekend tracked it right to one of beds. Same thing nothing close to bed but big rubs within 50 yards in all 3 directions surrounded by water.

I would say you found your answer already. You obviously found the bedding area of a good buck in your area. Memorize what you found and try to repeat it somewhere else. Every region in the country is unique.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”