First real aha moment scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

WIpubhunter 87

First real aha moment scouting

Unread postby WIpubhunter 87 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:50 pm

I had my first aha moment scouting yesterday. This is my second year beast scouting. I have found about 3 mature buck bedding areas so far (huge beds, 4 finger walking tracks, high shredded rubs, huge scat pellets). I found my fourth big buck bedding area yesterday. This one was a little different though. The other big buck bedding areas, while they were obviously good because a big buck is using it, never really gave me that aha feeling I’ve heard and read about. Yesterday I was walking around a brand new piece of public and was having a real hard time even seeing any deer sign let alone big buck sign. Finally I cut some tracks with some very large scat pellets in them. I followed the tracks until I came to this deer’s bedding area. I found 5-6 big beds and the only scat in and around the bedding area was the same large size as the ones in the tracks I followed, so I know that only that buck is using this bedding area (no smaller bucks allowed). At first I found the beds and non-chalantly thought that’s cool, another good bedding area, until I looked around. This particular bedding area is on a hump and all around this hump on all sides are hills with higher elevations and it is thick too. I guess what I’m assuming is that he is bedding there because of all the swirling winds that I’m sure he gets all day. It was my first real epiphany with a bedding area. Anyone else had that happen recently?

Jackson Marsh

Re: First real aha moment scouting

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:35 pm

8-)

It's a great feeling when you find an area like that....sometimes a guy is wrong, but when it really feels right, you are usually right.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Feb 25, 2020 10:34 pm

Those are great feelings when you find pieces pf the puzzle and get the ah-ha moment

Those hunps along the sides (in areas I hunt) are huge to locate. Big enough to attract buck bedding and not big enough to show on a topo.....
I like them
headgear
500 Club

Unread postby headgear » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:06 am

It's a feeling that never gets old. 8-)

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”