Thanks a lot Dan.......

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seuss79

Thanks a lot Dan.......

Unread postby seuss79 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:41 am

Thanks to your Beast methods and last week's scouting workshop, I am out in single digits weather. :cry: 7 degrees right now and I've been out here for 5 hours now. If it wasn't for you Dan, I'd be enjoying the heat of my house waiting till tomorrow when it's going to be in the mid to upper 30's!
IMG_20200214_140218.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Moose
500 Club

Re: Thanks a lot Dan.......

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:15 am

Hopefully your finding good sign. Im watching hill country bedding, have a fire going and a whisky in hand! Thanks dan for making videos to watch on bad weather days!! I applaud you for scouting in that kinda weather. When you get home and get warmed up it will all be worth it! Good luck
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:19 am

Nothing is more peaceful than scouting on a cold winter day without another person in sight. Just you and mother nature. 8-)
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:25 am

Dewey wrote:Nothing is more peaceful than scouting on a cold winter day without another person in sight. Just you and mother nature. 8-)

I agree! I already been out this year in nasty cold weather. Its crazy how people avoid the cold/bad weather and water like the plague! Its a good time to get out there if your willing.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:32 am

Moose wrote:
Dewey wrote:Nothing is more peaceful than scouting on a cold winter day without another person in sight. Just you and mother nature. 8-)

I agree! I already been out this year in nasty cold weather. Its crazy how people avoid the cold/bad weather and water like the plague! Its a good time to get out there if your willing.

Sure beats sweating, deep water and swarms of skeeters.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:48 am

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk today. I also am enjoying my fireplace now. I found more sign today than I have since I found the beast. I'm going to start another post about my findings to give credit to Dan for making light bulbs go off last week.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:55 am

Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:

X2
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 10:55 am

Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:

Anything beats skeeters and ticks! Lol
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:02 am

seuss79 wrote:I thoroughly enjoyed my walk today. I also am enjoying my fireplace now. I found more sign today than I have since I found the beast. I'm going to start another post about my findings to give credit to Dan for making light bulbs go off last week.

I havent been to a workshop yet. I would consider myself a beast in training lol! BUT i can honestly 100% say from this fourm and all the good folks on it to Dan's Awsome dvds and youtube videos has helped me more in 3 months then a lifetime of learning on my own.
seuss79

Unread postby seuss79 » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:52 am

Here's my new post with some of my findings:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53990
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 11:59 am

Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:

Careful out there guys. I was out last weekend and despite the cold temps still found some deep water.....right through the ice up to my crotch in the swamp. Ground never froze good around here, so the warmer swamp water must be keeping the ice barely thick enough to walk on.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:03 pm

Ack wrote:
Dewey wrote:
Moose wrote:

Careful out there guys. I was out last weekend and despite the cold temps still found some deep water.....right through the ice up to my crotch in the swamp. Ground never froze good around here, so the warmer swamp water must be keeping the ice barely thick enough to walk on.

Hot spots. The decaying plant matter creates enough heat to prevent ice from forming completely even in sub-zero weather. I find plenty of those every year on “solid ice”. Really wakes you up on a cold day. But yeah overall the ice is pretty sketchy this year.
Moose
500 Club

Unread postby Moose » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:12 pm

If i was a meteorologist id be a multimillionaire since im wrong sometimes. Ice or no ice, cold temps people need to think about safety. Im not preaching to anyone but cold and wet anywhere in the world is a bad deal. Be safe everyone!
Ack

Unread postby Ack » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:26 pm

Yeah...we’ve all been there. Half way across the swamp and everything is going great. Ice starts to crack just a little....no big deal right....no turning back now. You start to walk just a little faster and you feel it starting to move with you just a little. Then the cracks get louder and next thing you know you’re trying to pull yourself out. Which is not easy, because it keeps breaking every time you get your foot back on top. And of course, you didn’t actually know how deep the water was under the ice to start with....deeper than what you thought though. And don’t forget the bruise you get the entire length of your shin from it scraping the ice as you went in. Yeah....that was me last weekend. :lol:
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Ack wrote:Yeah...we’ve all been there. Half way across the swamp and everything is going great. Ice starts to crack just a little....no big deal right....no turning back now. You start to walk just a little faster and you feel it starting to move with you just a little. Then the cracks get louder and next thing you know you’re trying to pull yourself out. Which is not easy, because it keeps breaking every time you get your foot back on top. And of course, you didn’t actually know how deep the water was under the ice to start with....deeper than what you thought though. And don’t forget the bruise you get the entire length of your shin from it scraping the ice as you went in. Yeah....that was me last weekend. :lol:

:lol: That does sound familiar

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”