Rub Clusters and Clear Cuts

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Rub Clusters and Clear Cuts

Unread postby funderburk » Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:01 pm

Scouted the entire edge of a clear cut yesterday and found two major rub clusters along the edge. They were both about 10-50 yards inside the timber. Since most of them were facing the timber, is it logical for me to reason a buck (or several) are entering the cut at those places? I was able to find trails going in at those spots but no specific beds. Totally could’ve overlooked them though. Thoughts?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
E72
500 Club

Re: Rub Clusters and Clear Cuts

Unread postby E72 » Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:30 am

I found a similar spot a few years ago that is still getting the rubs every year . It’s a thick weedy creek bottom on the corner of the clearcut . No beds in it that I can see , looks more like a staging area to me . I don’t hunt right on it because the of wind . But maybe a good spot for bucks to pick up doe scent before entering the timber .
funderburk
500 Club

Re: Rub Clusters and Clear Cuts

Unread postby funderburk » Mon Feb 10, 2020 8:55 am

E72 wrote:I found a similar spot a few years ago that is still getting the rubs every year . It’s a thick weedy creek bottom on the corner of the clearcut . No beds in it that I can see , looks more like a staging area to me . I don’t hunt right on it because the of wind . But maybe a good spot for bucks to pick up doe scent before entering the timber .

Staging is exactly what I’m thinking, too. Seems that they’re coming out of the cut and hanging up in that general area until dark. It would seem that those two places must offer some kind of advantage, right? I need to go study those maps!
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”