Map waypoints?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

live2hunt

Map waypoints?

Unread postby live2hunt » Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:57 pm

Do you guys keep you waypoints year to year? Should I delete them all so I’m not favoring certain spots? I know there are always areas I will gravitate towards but should I start each year with a clean slate?

Jdw
500 Club

Re: Map waypoints?

Unread postby Jdw » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:20 am

I try to build my knowledge from year to year but don’t be afraid to move on if the sign changes from year to year.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:02 am

I always make a copy of my gps waypoints and tracks before any deleting.

However, I think you are wondering if the old history is blinding you from reading/reacting to fresh sign? That is a valid concern. I have been guilty of sentimental hunting spots because it was good last year. I do MUCH better when I keep an open slate and read the sign and hunt accordingly. However, it is a leap of faith to ignore last years spot and create a totally new hunt on the fly. I think you will be better off if you clear your gps and trust your instincts.

But! Save the old info so you can study it if needed. Patterns are different each year and your old observations are valuable. And, as you stated, you already have an idea which areas to keep an eye on. Then, go with the flow.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 10:18 am

Agree with Klemz. Areas may go "cold" for a year or two. But when a new buck moves in or a younger buck from a year or two ago hits a mature age. Alot of your intel from past seasons may get you started in the right direction!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Mopar1169
500 Club

Unread postby Mopar1169 » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:12 pm

I leave all my waypoints that have good sign on my phone. I delete the stuff that I pick out cyber scouting that doesn't have what I am looking for. I figure my old way points are always a good place to start then Branch out from there. There is a few places that I have marked that will never get deleted. Just really good spots.
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm

I keep ones worth keeping. Some are hunt trees. Some kept to fine tune another location.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:05 am

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Klemz yes that is my issue. I feel like the old waypoints sometimes influence where I go based on history and not fresh sign. Also I feel if I wasn’t consistently getting on mature deer that I need to change something.
Bio1

Unread postby Bio1 » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:24 am

If it’s a good spot it will likely stay a good spot - I’ll save it in the que and hunt it when the conditions match when I saw a good buck out of it.

Bio 1
Trout
500 Club

Unread postby Trout » Mon Jan 20, 2020 3:38 am

I keep em but use a different color each year for the markers so it is easier to tell one year from others and see new patterns.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:35 pm

Trout wrote:I keep em but use a different color each year for the markers so it is easier to tell one year from others and see new patterns.

This is what I'm doing also. The onX app makes it easy to color code by year, while having symbols to represent the type of waypoint. I go through at the end of each season and delete less valuable waypoints and tracks to keep some available storage space, otherwise it deletes the oldest stuff once you reach the limit.
Not all those who wander are lost...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”