DaveT1963 Scouting Videos (Lake Bedding)

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BrennanNTX

DaveT1963 Scouting Videos (Lake Bedding)

Unread postby BrennanNTX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:28 am

First of all, I want to start out by saying I discovered Dave back in October when he responded to one of my post on this forum. Little did I know at the time who he was or the wealth of knowledge he is willing to share with others. I then stumbled across his YouTube channel and watched every video he had at the time. I learned that for the most part we hunt the same key states (which is a relief because it’s seems most everyone from this forum is from the Midwest or northeast). This being said, I’ve also watched just about every video/DVD Dan Infalt and THP has to offer. These are extremely informative and top notch educational pieces, however, they just don’t seem to completely jive with the areas I hunt. Of course the basic fundamentals apply and there are vast overlapping similarities but, there are still some major differences with terrain, deer numbers, pressure, and baiting regulations to name a few. So long story short, it’s a breath of fresh air to find someone from the south/southwest with so much knowledge and experience that’s willing to share it.

Secondly, more about the video series on bedding around large reservoirs. In the two states that I hunt it is most common for public land to surround lakes. For the most part this consist of peninsulas of hardwood ridges with occasional pockets of cedar thickets mixed in, drainages between the ridges that can either be thick and brushy or barren. For the most part there are no “hard” transitions. A transition is typically just a cedar thicket into hardwoods. The goal of this post is to reach out to others that hunt near larger lakes with similar terrain and get additional feedback on “Lake Bedding.” My main question is where do you typically find bedding (obviously this is situational)? Is it around the edge of the peninsulas near the water, in cedar thickets scattered across the ridges, at the leeward head of drainages, at the points of hardwood ridges, or down in the drainages based on cover? Another reason I believe this will be a great topic is because I have yet to find a well worn-in bed in this type of terrain. I almost believe deer rarely bed in the same spot in this type of terrain. Hopefully this lake bedding topic will strike up some good conversation and get some feedback. I will try to post some example maps if I can find some so everyone can be on the same page with the terrain we are discussing. Looking forward to hearing everyone’s input.

DaveT1963
500 Club

Re: DaveT1963 Scouting Videos (Lake Bedding)

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:15 am

Thanks Brandon.

I believe the concepts and the big rocks I find that work are pretty much aligned with Beast tactics. Sometimes it's a few factors and application where some differences occur. For instance edges.... in some environments easy to see, others it's harder.... like those edges where winds oppose and swirl due to terrain, thermals, etc... they often create an edge that we humans have a hard time SEEING but to deer it's obvious.

All in all, it's a lifetime journey and we are the students if we enroll :) I am not that great of a hunter, just try to be a willing student. I'd like to think my test scores are improving.
BrennanNTX

Unread postby BrennanNTX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:08 am

These are just some random screen shots I took of areas around lakes with terrain I’m referring to.

DAF66056-7158-4E36-AD15-2C8FB7CA987C.png
B9163A21-B197-49F3-8D3B-017B5DA4AE7C.png
B9163A21-B197-49F3-8D3B-017B5DA4AE7C.png
81ABEDED-BD30-4E41-8FC8-C8FCB67C2E9C.png
13C514E4-449B-4344-BD8C-E4DFBA956A3B.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 am

This is a recent illustration of how you can plan ahead how to use thermals near large water. In your pics above there is going to be a lot of thermal movement due to ridges, but all things will end up heading towards that water IME ..... think of it as pouring 10000 gallons of water on top, it will go I. multiple directions initially but will collectively move towards lowest part.

https://youtu.be/4pBGIlX0iv4
BrennanNTX

Unread postby BrennanNTX » Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:24 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:This is a recent illustration of how you can plan ahead how to use thermals near large water. In your pics above there is going to be a lot of thermal movement due to ridges, but all things will end up heading towards that water IME ..... think of it as pouring 10000 gallons of water on top, it will go I. multiple directions initially but will collectively move towards lowest part.

https://youtu.be/4pBGIlX0iv4

That makes sense. Might also be why that scrape I sent you videos of has so much activity from mature bucks shortly after night fall because it’s not more than 20-30 yards off the edge of the lake. I also found some trails that run parallel to the bank. These were very open areas so I assumed it was night time travel which makes sense because they would have maximum security knowing nothing was coming from the water and they could smell everything from the other direction by thermal pull of the lake.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”