When to start scouting for next season?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Mossberg90MN

When to start scouting for next season?

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:24 am

Wondering when you guys start scouting for the next season? I’m here in Minnesota and our season just ended. I want to get early spring scouting in but I also don’t want it to interfere with Turkey scouting and hunting. So I’m gonna try to get my deer season scouting in before turkey time.

Also, how much of the late winter/early spring scouting is relevant for the next season?

Mgaspari

Re: When to start scouting for next season?

Unread postby Mgaspari » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:40 am

The day after I tag out. You can only be late to start scouting, never early.
Dpierce72
500 Club

Unread postby Dpierce72 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:46 am

While this years rut sign is still visible and snakes/ticks aren't out...
"Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make your a better person." ~Fred Bear
live2hunt

Unread postby live2hunt » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 pm

I know it sounds cliche but I started scouting for next season years ago. As far as seeing what I missed this year it started the day deer season opened until turkey season ends. My turkey time always turns into deer scouting. I look for overlooked areas while shed hunting. Cyber scout in the heat of the summer. Then right back to the season seeing if fresh sign and glassing lines up with any theories I had for years past deer movement.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:11 pm

You should never really stop! But like on totally new properties. As soon as your tags are filled or season ends. If your in northern latitudes. If you have snow, along with no fresh tracks. As soon as most of the snow has gone. Otherwise any time/where there isn't any snow. Get after it!!!
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:24 pm

Scouting season never ends. The best time to find primary beds that are used year round is right after the season with snow on the ground. Best part is you found a bed of a buck that’s still actually alive. Finding old beds does very little for you if the buck is already dead. Guys end up hunting bucks that don’t exist anymore.

Takes a lot of guesswork away when you can just follow tracks in the snow right to the bed. These beds typically are in the most secure spots around and are especially used this time of the year after excessive hunting pressure. Bucks feel safe in them for a reason and rely on them for primary bedding. When you find a primary bed you will know it right away because they are perfect in every way and almost impossible to reach undetected. Always good to know where these are even if it’s extremely difficult to hunt them.
Mossberg90MN

Unread postby Mossberg90MN » Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:53 pm

Awesome thanks for all the responses folks! Of course I do keep an eye on sign for both turkey and deer when I’m out there hunting or scouting 1 or the other.

If I’m scouting a marsh that’s frozen over. Will they still be using those beds? I heard Dan say that they don’t like the ice on there feet and that they will leave the marsh? Also the ice allows predators to go out there.

If this is the case then I’m gonna get out there next week!
Ghost Hunter

Unread postby Ghost Hunter » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:20 pm

From my first sit in stand this last season I was collecting intel for 2020. There is so much to learn when opportunity is there.
I'm reason they call it hunting and not shooting.
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:43 pm

Ghost Hunter wrote:From my first sit in stand this last season I was collecting intel for 2020. There is so much to learn when opportunity is there.

I am new to off season scouting and I also live in Minnesota. I just scouted my first public spot 2 days ago. I got excited about the fresh snow and following tracks around. I didn’t find a single track and I walked every transition in the 200 acre plot . It’s hard to say if I am just moving to fast, not looking for the right sign, or if gun pressure or food sources changing keep deer from bedding there. All I know is that this place was littered with deer sign in October and virtually no hunter sign.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
VaBowKill5

Unread postby VaBowKill5 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:49 pm

I keep a journal and document every time I go in the woods whether scouting, hunting,or running cameras it’s all scouting. It never really ends for me because you never know when the 110” buck you’ve seen 10 times is gonna turn into a 140.
Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Fri Jan 03, 2020 3:13 pm

I have found my best areas of public right after the end of gun season. Deer are in the most secure beds . If it’s heavy pressure during archery season it’s good odds that’s where they will be within days of the opener
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:01 pm

Yesterday!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:55 pm

Scouting never stops or starts. Its an ongoing never ending tool to improve you as a hunter.

After your tagged out is a great time to advance your scouting into the bucks bedroom and see what went on all season. I would not worry about turkey hunters unless they are there hunting the day you plan to scout.
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:52 am

More time in the woods = great opportunity to understand the land(s) you hunt and get onto your prey...
OR
Eliminate an area as well...
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:28 am

I never stop.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”