Trail camera tactics

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

thepennsylvanian
500 Club

Trail camera tactics

Unread postby thepennsylvanian » Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:51 am

I'm coming to the realization that I do not know enough to locate/identify buck bedding. So I need to start figuring out how to "best" use trail cameras on public lands. As always, I realize that is painting with a broad brush, but what i am looking for is different ways yall use them and adapt from there.
I know you dont want to have them where you expect to hunt. That said, with the small window that the camera covers, and my inability to identify bedding, how should I setup up in relation to the info the camera provides?
I currently have 6 cameras out, that haven't been checked since probably sept, maybe early October on some. Long soaks are not an issue for me, I have enough discipline to let em sit. I have a enough cameras to cover a bunch of public parcels near me, which I have plenty of public very close!
So I guess I'm looking for:
Where to set up to help me begin to understand bedding?
When should I be checking?
How close should/can cameras be if I use multiple on one property?

I can't really use Dan's tactics because of the fact I dont understand the relationship to bedding. That and the lack of fields on public around here.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Hookslinger
500 Club

Re: Trail camera tactics

Unread postby Hookslinger » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:07 pm

I'm new to The Beast, so keep in mind this is coming from an amateur. I would study more (videos, podcasts, DVDs) and keep trying to locate beds until you find them boots on the ground. I hear guys on here talk about using cams to take an inventory of bucks in an area, but not so much to find bedding or learn hiw bucks use bedding. I'm guessing your in hill country? I have watched lots of videos, bought dans dvds, and listened to lots of podcasts (and will continue to do so), and I have been having some luck finding beds in marshes and swamps in the little bit of scouting that I've done ao far. Hill country does seem harder though from what I've seen so far. I just think studying and scouting until you find them would be way faster and more beneficial than trying to do it with trail cameras. Just my thoughts. Good luck and hope you get on some buck beds soon!
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:33 pm

I use them frequently on bedding approach and exits and I've used them to back track a buck to bedding.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:25 am

I put on feeding areas, field edges , oak flats, trail crossings ,good scrapes made super early season, and another good spot is Known heavy travel routes along transitions i know there is no bedding along. I Never put cams near bedding or where im hunting.
Im always at least 150 yards away from bedding. Or at least i try to be.
I also put all my cams 2 sticks high probably 12 foot high.
I try to get see how close night time pics are too bedding ive found previously.
I try not to pay much attention to pics well after dark say 3 hrs after dark.
i also disregard pics anytime b4 an hour and a half b4 first light. The gap would be 7pm to 4:30 am. Dark at 5pm Light at 6am.
The money pics i pay attention to Is Of course daytime pics. Especially b4 and after the rut.
These tell me where he is coming from and comparing intel from cyber scouting and post season scouting will tell me the closest bedding area.
Morning pics im interested in is the ones close to day break. I note what wind is and travel route is.
Then you may be able too Forecast where he is bedding just by travel route and wind direction.
I note all interested pics or helpful pics with date, time, wind direction, temp, moon phase and travel direction.
Target animal of course.
My cams will start going back out in late November and soak until end of march. Then they get memory card swap and fresh batteries. Then they get pulled right b4 shotgun or if not shotgun week. When the most scent is in the woods.
I get some decent pics and works for intel.
Ive located several great bucks in several areas by doing this.
This method works for me. I really enjoy doing it this way and seems too be working in my new areas im learning.
The only thing is what works for me in my area may not work for someone else.
Ya Gotta find What works for you and in your area
Just like anything being almost self taught.
Trial and error teaches the most
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”