Buck Bedding - Scent

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

MNSconsin Hunter

Buck Bedding - Scent

Unread postby MNSconsin Hunter » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:02 pm

New to the forum and just got farm country bedding.

Great information, to the point of information overload.

One question I keep asking myself while researching is when your scouting for buck bedding and you find it, potentially you could bump him out if he’s home. One thing for sure though, your putting down scent in his bedding.

From what I can tell from Dan and Joe Rentmeester is that it doesn’t blow up that bedding area forever. Is that what others have experienced? I figured if you scent up a bucks bedding, even once, he’s abandoning it forever, seems to have changed my mind on that.

Chuck B
500 Club

Re: Buck Bedding - Scent

Unread postby Chuck B » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:20 pm

Right. That’s not going to send him out forever. Just think of how many times a buck gets bumped out of bed by Bears, coyotes, wolves, etc.

If you think about it, his bed was successful, it saved him from danger, i.e. he got out of there alive.

Now, if he repeatedly has to deal with getting bumped from that bed, he probably would make a change. (Just common sense assumption there).
If you aren't green and growing, you are ripe and rotting
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:47 pm

Yeah, especially off season. They don't mind so much.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Chasinbirds

Unread postby Chasinbirds » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:52 am

Chuck B wrote:Right. That’s not going to send him out forever. Just think of how many times a buck gets bumped out of bed by Bears, coyotes, wolves, etc.

If you think about it, his bed was successful, it saved him from danger, i.e. he got out of there alive.

Now, if he repeatedly has to deal with getting bumped from that bed, he probably would make a change. (Just common sense assumption there).

Never thought of it that way. Makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”