Scouting snowshoes in the northwoods

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

1STRANGEWILDERNESS
500 Club

Scouting snowshoes in the northwoods

Unread postby 1STRANGEWILDERNESS » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:28 am

True it is prime time but I’m already excited about off season scouting and prepping a few locations well ahead of time for next year..

Normally my area has about a foot and a half of snow. 10-15 miles north and there’s several feet. This past winter we had over 3 ft. I didn’t even attempt to get out in that, normally I go w out snowshoes but it is exhausting even in 18” of snow. I’ve never used snowshoes and to look at all the sizes and materials available just leaves me confused.

I’m guessing you want something shorter for scouting when you’re going to be in brush and cedar swamps often.. but will that help much in deep powder?

Any northwoods guys with some suggestions?

don’t be broadcasting when you should be tuning in
swampyak
500 Club

Re: Scouting snowshoes in the northwoods

Unread postby swampyak » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:52 pm

I use snowshoes 5 to 7 days a week mist winters. My thoughts are the bigger the better. Alaskans carry well in deep powder but they dont generally have a metal claw like my newer style 38 inch. The metal claws are nice for contour and climbing over blowdown
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:57 pm

The smaller plasticky snow shoes are not what you want for deep powder. I have a pair of Maine Guide rabbit hunter snowshoes that have an upturned tail which allows you to back up if necessary. Haven’t used them a ton, but really like them so far.
VilasCo

Unread postby VilasCo » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:35 pm

I use Cabela's (made by Atlas) 30" snowshoes with ratchet bindings. I put on a lot of miles in the woods and on the lake hauling fishing gear. They are really nice. I'm small at 5'6" 160 and 30" may be a little over kill, but I wanted some more flotation. Even at 30" they are plenty nimble.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:45 pm

VilasCo wrote:I use Cabela's (made by Atlas) 30" snowshoes with ratchet bindings. I put on a lot of miles in the woods and on the lake hauling fishing gear. They are really nice. I'm small at 5'6" 160 and 30" may be a little over kill, but I wanted some more flotation. Even at 30" they are plenty nimble.

I have the same ones but in 36” I believe. Walked over 3 feet of snow easily many times. Last March in Vilas County was no doubt snowshoe weather. :o
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”