Waiting for snow to find buck beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Missionshooter
500 Club

Waiting for snow to find buck beds

Unread postby Missionshooter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:47 pm

Anyone ever just plan on scouting in the snow to find fresh buck beds? To me, it is easiest to locate solo beds when we have snow. I find so few of them that it takes a lot of legwork .

I just like the.certainty of finding a big fresh bed in the.snow that sticks out like a sore thumb.

STLBowhunter Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKzQUpmjiy8
WV Bowhunter
500 Club

Re: Waiting for snow to find buck beds

Unread postby WV Bowhunter » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:03 pm

That would work good if you are going to be hunt them that same time of the year. Beds change as food sources, breeding patterns, leaf drop/ground cover, pressure and a host of other things change. You may find a bed that is used year round, but in my area the deer don’t stay in the same place year round.
Luck is when preparation meets opportunity!!
headgear
500 Club

Re: Waiting for snow to find buck beds

Unread postby headgear » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:40 pm

It can very much work and has lead me to some great spots that I still hunt. It just isn't a sure thing and might lead you to some winter locations that never get used by that buck in the fall. I would give it a try but really study the beds you find and see if they work all year round. Sometimes I see them bed in more open places in the winter because they can see forever and all the wet safe stuff is froze up, in the fall they might prefer the thicker or wetter areas for better cover & security.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”