narrowing down buck beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Deltaninja

narrowing down buck beds

Unread postby Deltaninja » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:02 am

new to the forum and new to the bed specific hunting strategies and i have a couple of questions?
1. i'm hunting in some hilly terrain and have not got out to scout for specific buck beds. planning on taking what i learned from the hill county DVD and put to use this spring. But in the mean time what should i be focusing in on? there are a thousand points deer and specifically buck could be bedding on, how would you narrow that down? When you locate the beds how do you know which ones you should spend time hunting?
2. would a good strategy to be to look for doe beds and then hunt the transitions between them? If so, how would you identify these areas? This area is all mixed timber. Oaks are scattered everywhere. There are a few food plot areas that are grown up with native grasses. And then there are some really thick cut-over areas throughout the property.

Just looking for advice on what y'all think?

backstraps

Re: narrowing down buck beds

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:39 am

Delta first off Welcome to the BEAST!!

Good first post questions. I am sure there are many new members curious about the same thoughts you’re having.

1. You are correct most hill country terrain will hold points in all shapes,sizes, elevations, and pointing in every direction.
However not all points are created equal and some are better than others.

What I try to do is first narrow down the points that will be wind based matching the area prevailing winds.
Then search the elevation level of those points where you suspect the wind tunnel to be working on most days.
Then look along that appropriate elevation at the contour lines. If there is a spot along those lines, around the point where the contours get closer together or preferably really close, could be a bedding site.
This tactic can get tougher to apply is gently sloping points though.
That’ll get you started in that aspect of finding buck bedding on points. Once you start locating the beds, you should see some common factors among the points in your area holding bedding

2. As for number two... I wont get windy. You will have to start asking yourself all kinds of questions when you locate beds. Why, when (very important), how is he accessing and exiting, seasonal bed due to food sources changing or rut bedding etc etc
No quick easy answer for that question. Just takes a lot of time and trial and error.....but thats the fun part of learning it

Again, welcome to the BEAST!!
Deltaninja

Unread postby Deltaninja » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:08 am

thanks for the tips! i know i was pretty vague about my questions, i tried uploading a screen shot of the area but couldn't figure that part out. the area holds lots of deer and some really good bucks. But its hard to pin them down since the whole area is really the same. been hunting this area for 3 years and in the past its been find a likely travel route and sit and wait. i like the concept of getting close to beds to increase daylight encounters. i look forward to studying the forum and putting a new hunting philosophy to work!
Jdw
500 Club

Unread postby Jdw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:44 pm

I would look for any type of transition, like where thick and open timber meet in the type of location backstraps suggested.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”