Best GPS App for iPhone?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

xpauliber
500 Club

Best GPS App for iPhone?

Unread postby xpauliber » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:18 am

So I'm trying to decide which GPS app is the best to use for scouting & marking points & adding photos while I'm scouting. I've found these 3 options:

GPS Kit: http://gpskit.garafa.com/GPSKit/GPS_Kit_for_iPhone_%26_iPad.html
BackCountry Navigator: https://bcnavxe.com/#/
GAIA: https://www.gaiagps.com/

Do you have experience with any of them and/or any recommendations?

My goal is to pair this up with Google Earth. When I'm done scouting for the day, upload all of the data from the app into Google Earth so I have all of my waypoints, notes, photos, etc. stored on Google Earth for reference in the future.

SamPotter
500 Club

Re: Best GPS App for iPhone?

Unread postby SamPotter » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:24 am

I have zero experience with the
apps you listed. I was using the now defunct Trimble and have now switched to Gaia, which I have good luck syncing up with google earth. I’m sure OnX will get suggested as well, which I have no experience with either. Gaia has good satellite imagery and topo maps and does offer property owner information, but I found the data to be lacking, so OnX might get the nod in that department.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:42 am

I used to use backcountry navigator for android and really liked it. I don’t know how or if you can sync up with google earth. Now I am used to onx and pretty happy with it. Seems like everyone I know now uses onx. I did recently have an issue with offline maps on onx and I now wonder how accurate the location is. It was off by about 50 yards which is a lot when you are navigating around a hawthorne thicket lol.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:41 pm

I've had gaia for a few years, it has a yearly fee. I like it okay, but have been thinking of switching to onx. Sometimes it's putzy in the field, which irritates the heck out of me. Does have a few public spots for Wisconsin , but not everything like onx has.

Some states (Minnesota) you can download the public ground outlines directly onto whatever app you choose....I wish all states did that.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:00 pm

I had Trimble forever and really liked it. When they folded, I tried several. I ended up with OnX and really like it.

When comparing OnX with other apps, OnX topo feature isnt as detailed and lacks there. Overall OnX is my pick
csoult
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/The-Open-Air-P ... 137422734/

Unread postby csoult » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:38 am

I've used gaia for years. It is considerably cheaper than onX if you want multiple states. For gaia you pay one price $29.99 for a yearly fee, you pay that for 1 state on onX. if you want all states like gaia it is $99.99. I used to think that you get better maps on OnX, but gaia is coming out with new maps all the time.

The things that I find helpful in gaia.

Downloadable maps: you can download an area to your phone if you know you will be out of service
Record tracks: I find this useful when scouting, also shows stats i.e. distance traveled and elevation changes
Using pictures for waypoints: I use this for marking scrapes or rubs sometimes, also for marking a tree location. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Land info: Stuff like who the owner is, how many acres ect.
Area marking: You can mark off and label an area and it will show you the total acres and it will highlight the area (new)
Slider for layer transparency: Determine which map you want to be the dominate layer
Waypoint icons: They have different waypoint icons. I use the deer icons to mark permissions that I have and a bed icon to mark bedding areas.

Those are some of the things available on the app, oh and I forgot to mention that you can use the desktop version on-line and it will sync with you app. I'm sure Onx does all of these things too I'm just not experienced enough with it. The universal thing with all of these apps and the most important aspect is that you become intimate with all of the features and how to use it.

In conclusion, I haven't used OnX other than a free trial but I don't have any issues with gaia. Also, for me to switch now would be an issue due to losing all my waypoints.
PK_
500 Club

Unread postby PK_ » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:41 am

I have Gaia and OnX, I prefer Gaia for navigating. I have never synced anything with GE.
No Shortcuts. No Excuses. No Regrets.
Everybody's selling dreams. I'm too cheap to buy one.
Rich M wrote:Typically, hunting FL has been like getting a root canal
SamPotter
500 Club

Unread postby SamPotter » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:04 pm

Jackson Marsh wrote:I've had gaia for a few years, it has a yearly fee. I like it okay, but have been thinking of switching to onx. Sometimes it's putzy in the field, which irritates the heck out of me. Does have a few public spots for Wisconsin , but not everything like onx has.

Some states (Minnesota) you can download the public ground outlines directly onto whatever app you choose....I wish all states did that.

In MN you can do that for the WMAs but not the state forests for some reason. Iowa has it so you can dump the entire state’s public land into google earth, which is awesome.
Jackson Marsh

Unread postby Jackson Marsh » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:42 pm

SamPotter wrote:
Jackson Marsh wrote:I've had gaia for a few years, it has a yearly fee. I like it okay, but have been thinking of switching to onx. Sometimes it's putzy in the field, which irritates the heck out of me. Does have a few public spots for Wisconsin , but not everything like onx has.

In MN you can do that for the WMAs but not the state forests for some reason. Iowa has it so you can dump the entire state’s public land into google earth, which is awesome.

I have the whole RJD memorial forest on gaia, not sure if that is considered WMA or state forest
mag1
500 Club

Unread postby mag1 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:46 pm

I’ve been using the free version of ScoutLook, there aerial maps have really good detail, and can be saved. Don’t like all the adds, but you can get a yearly sub for roughly $10, that is supposed to clean it up.

I did get onyx this year for wis, and do not like the areal detail, it’s not real good yet at the zoomed in level when you save a map for offline use, but I think that is planned to be fixed in the future, otherwise it’s pretty good.
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:17 pm

mag1 wrote:I’ve been using the free version of ScoutLook, there aerial maps have really good detail, and can be saved. Don’t like all the adds, but you can get a yearly sub for roughly $10, that is supposed to clean it up.

I did get onyx this year for wis, and do not like the areal detail, it’s not real good yet at the zoomed in level when you save a map for offline use, but I think that is planned to be fixed in the future, otherwise it’s pretty good.

I really like Scoutlook especially for aerial detail and wind prediction cones. Been very accurate for me. Word is they are combining Scoutlook with Huntstand in the next few weeks. Hopefully a good thing is improved and not ruined like seems to happen so often.

I agree OnX doesn’t have real good aerial detail. Pretty surprising considering what’s available right now.
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:20 am

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Are there any limitations to the number of waypoints you can store with Gaia?
xpauliber
500 Club

Unread postby xpauliber » Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:23 am

brancher147 wrote:I used to use backcountry navigator for android and really liked it. I don’t know how or if you can sync up with google earth. Now I am used to onx and pretty happy with it. Seems like everyone I know now uses onx. I did recently have an issue with offline maps on onx and I now wonder how accurate the location is. It was off by about 50 yards which is a lot when you are navigating around a hawthorne thicket lol.

I'm very worried about this and how accurate a GPS app on my phone will be. On morning hunts in the dark, I routinely use my handheld Garmin to get me to stand locations I may not have been to in years and everything looks way different in the dark. My Garmin can get me within 10-20 feet of a waypoint and I can remember which tree I picked if I can get that close. If the margin of error is 50 yards, it may as well be 500 yards in a thick area in the dark.
brancher147
500 Club

Unread postby brancher147 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:20 am

xpauliber wrote:
brancher147 wrote:I used to use backcountry navigator for android and really liked it. I don’t know how or if you can sync up with google earth. Now I am used to onx and pretty happy with it. Seems like everyone I know now uses onx. I did recently have an issue with offline maps on onx and I now wonder how accurate the location is. It was off by about 50 yards which is a lot when you are navigating around a hawthorne thicket lol.

I'm very worried about this and how accurate a GPS app on my phone will be. On morning hunts in the dark, I routinely use my handheld Garmin to get me to stand locations I may not have been to in years and everything looks way different in the dark. My Garmin can get me within 10-20 feet of a waypoint and I can remember which tree I picked if I can get that close. If the margin of error is 50 yards, it may as well be 500 yards in a thick area in the dark.

I agree. Most of my issues have been when using offline maps. Although yesterday I was using it with service and it was still off but not as bad. I notice when I mark a waypoint that my location dot is constantly moving and adjusting. I am going to post a topic asking others experience.
Some do. Some don't. I just might...
Dewey

Unread postby Dewey » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:42 am

It's very hard to beat a dedicated GPS for pinpoint accuracy while navigating. Haven't found a phone app that even comes close.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”