Fall Scouting

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bamarich

Fall Scouting

Unread postby Bamarich » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:15 pm

I know from watching Dan's video's that you want to keep intrusions into a buck's primary bedding to a minimum close to/during the season. With that said, I have a question. If you can't totally stay out, would the best conditions to scout them be (1) a day when the wind would dictate that the buck isn't on that ridge (I hunt hill country) combined with (2) a day when a good soaking rain will take place prior to bedding time the next morning? Thanks!

Huntress13
500 Club

Re: Fall Scouting

Unread postby Huntress13 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:51 am

I would say, scout it on a day when you can set up and hunt it.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Bamarich

Unread postby Bamarich » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:23 am

Huntress13 wrote:I would say, scout it on a day when you can set up and hunt it.

Maybe I should word it a bit better. I hunt private land with loc-ons and hang sets prior to hunting there. I generally hang stands long before I'll actually be hunting a place in order to allow scent to disperse - so I typically do that on days just prior to a heavy rain. If I'm going to use a mobile set, your advice works. However, that's not going to be my general pattern of hunting.
Bamarich

Unread postby Bamarich » Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:20 am

Bump... really would like a few people who hang sets prior to hunting to weigh in on the question.
hunter10
500 Club

Unread postby hunter10 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:06 am

If you already have all pre sets up then going in to scout them at anytime is working against you. If your going mobile on your private land than scouting on your way in to a desired area is your best bet and go from there. Sit your pre set spots and if they don’t show what you want then get mobile and forget about them
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:19 am

You want to scout and hang now, for a later sit??

At best you will be hoping a buck in the area leaving sign, will be there once you return (at a later date) to hunt.

This can work, but mostly setting stands in known feeding area, known staging area or rut funnels.

Worrying about your scent left while scouting and hanging probably wont matter much. The scent you’re leaving behind on scout/hanging trips, the deer will know you were there regardless.

I say go do your thing when timing is convenient for you.

If your choosing between your options listed, id avoid my wind getting into suspected bedding
Bamarich

Unread postby Bamarich » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:08 pm

hunter10 wrote:If you already have all pre sets up then going in to scout them at anytime is working against you. If your going mobile on your private land than scouting on your way in to a desired area is your best bet and go from there. Sit your pre set spots and if they don’t show what you want then get mobile and forget about them

I'd be hanging my set based on the scouting. I've been in most of these areas at one point or another in the past, so really what I'm looking for in any particular scouting trip are trails and beds - whether primary or secondary. Definitely well aware that the pre-hung stuff may have to be abandoned at some point. Thanks for the advice.
Bamarich

Unread postby Bamarich » Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:11 pm

backstraps wrote:You want to scout and hang now, for a later sit??

At best you will be hoping a buck in the area leaving sign, will be there once you return (at a later date) to hunt.

This can work, but mostly setting stands in known feeding area, known staging area or rut funnels.

Worrying about your scent left while scouting and hanging probably wont matter much. The scent you’re leaving behind on scout/hanging trips, the deer will know you were there regardless.

I say go do your thing when timing is convenient for you.

If your choosing between your options listed, id avoid my wind getting into suspected bedding

Thanks for the advice... a lot of my areas are year round places that have available food and doe bedding within reasonable distances. Your last sentence is what I've been doing the past few weeks (it's still preseason here in Bama)... been scouting when I know deer aren't on the ridge I'm checking out and trying to do it the day before a rain to minimize my presence there.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”