Question on military crest

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Homey88

Question on military crest

Unread postby Homey88 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:35 am

I had posted this on the public hunting forum and didn’t get any responses so I thought I would repost it over here on the scouting forum.
Got a quick question. I was scouting a ridge top and found a faint trail just above the military crest. Below is a nice bench. During the rut would bucks tend to cruise up on the military crest utilizing the thermals to scent check for does on the bench? And would you put a stand down on the bench or up on Trail on the military crest?
Thanks

Smitty
Facebook: Mitch Smith

Re: Question on military crest

Unread postby Smitty » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:29 am

I think this may be an evening/morning difference as morning the buck may be above as thermals are rising to him and evening he’d be below as thermals would be falling.
Haste makes waste
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:55 am

The trails used on/near the military crest. Usually, get used when the thermal tunnel is working. Just like the beds in that area.

So in the AM before the rising thermals take effect. If a buck is still using the trail, set up below. Once the thermals rise and the tunnel forms. Get above, and high enough in the tree. To have the prevailing wind keep your scent blowing well above the deer using the trail. Sometimes 2' higher makes a huge difference!

If the thermals start dropping well before last light you may need to move back down below the trail. Keep dropping that milkweed!!!

Of course the bucks may end up using lower trails when the thermals are dropping. So keep your eyes peeled for that sign, or movement while on stand.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Homey88

Unread postby Homey88 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate the response!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”