Night time trail cam pics

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

backstraps

Re: Night time trail cam pics

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:45 am

Lets use this topic to try and learn from one another...

Im not trying to disagree with anyones tactics here but for discussion sake Id have to question...

Which direction would you travel “down the trail” from the camera and hunt?

Hill country can be super tricky with the thermals. This buck is moving in the pm while thermals are dropping.

Im curious the approach in determining where to do the first sit “around the cam”

Picture in this example clearly shows the buck is bedding close or on his feet well before dark.

Then id question, if you didnt get a visual on that first sit, what your next move would be?
Hunan scent has already been laid down from the first sit.

I think a buck picture that close to daylight hours either am or pm is very valuable and can be a great clue

Id for sure suggest to let that cam soak and not check it again until you hunt that area and can pull it safely.

My thoughts would be, try and determine by educated guess where this buck is coming from.

If no good buck bedding has been located prior to season. Then you have to trust your gut or pass visuals in the area etc

Set up on a travel route between the suspected bed and the cam. Hang as close to the bed as you feel you can safely get.

If you strike out, then that particular bed and the access you used may be burned, but your still in the game. Move to the next suspected bedding point and try again..so on so on

backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:50 am

Most likely you would want to do an evening sit only. Early season like this especially. So make a well planned out access route to your planned out set up.
Scout your way in!! Look for those big tracks! If you see a lot of fresh sign and you feel you are close enough to the bed where the buck will make it to you with daylight left check your winds, pick a tree, hang and hunt!!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:23 am

802bowhunter wrote:These pictures mean nothing and would not get me excited being that its August one acorn tree or beech nut tree drops like crazy in other direction his entire pattern could change.
That buck could be watching u check that camera from its bed or could be bedded 3 miles from u.
Some of those hill country bucks travel 3-4 ridges in 20 minutes seen it many many times.

Just slide down the trail 50 yards from ur camera and see what happens. No results slide down the trail more until u kill him or bump him off his bed.

Be aggressive kill him or ruin the spot in 3-4 sits and move on the the next buck.

X2 dont want to be a debbie downer but more often than not this is the case.
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:42 pm

may21581 wrote:
802bowhunter wrote:These pictures mean nothing and would not get me excited being that its August one acorn tree or beech nut tree drops like crazy in other direction his entire pattern could change.
That buck could be watching u check that camera from its bed or could be bedded 3 miles from u.
Some of those hill country bucks travel 3-4 ridges in 20 minutes seen it many many times.

Just slide down the trail 50 yards from ur camera and see what happens. No results slide down the trail more until u kill him or bump him off his bed.

Be aggressive kill him or ruin the spot in 3-4 sits and move on the the next buck.

Where are y’all located? Where I’m at, I’ve seen the late summer pattern last until the end of September, which is a few weeks into our season.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:46 pm

Also want to give a big shoutout to to backstraps. He was more than kind enough to not only mark up the map, but walk me through where he thinks the best kill spots are. His knowledge of hill country thermals is a different level. Appreciate you doing that man :clap: :clap: :clap:
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:12 pm

TNDawg44 wrote:Also want to give a big shoutout to to backstraps. He was more than kind enough to not only mark up the map, but walk me through where he thinks the best kill spots are. His knowledge of hill country thermals is a different level. Appreciate you doing that man :clap: :clap: :clap:

You are very welcome. It was my pleasure. Makes me happy to pay it forward!!

Truth of the matter is, most everything I have learned about taking the game to the next level, has been learned directly from Dan and the Beast community.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:39 pm

TNDawg44 wrote:
may21581 wrote:

Where are y’all located? Where I’m at, I’ve seen the late summer pattern last until the end of September, which is a few weeks into our season.

Ohio, the opener is September 28th every year.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:42 pm

Sorry for the double response.
802bowhunter

Unread postby 802bowhunter » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 am

I'm in northern vermont
It often snows opening day of bow
"The hunting is great, the killing is terrible."
Northern new england.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:48 am

802bowhunter wrote:I'm in northern vermont
It often snows opening day of bow

I’d imagine they’re definitely off their summer pattern then! Haha.

I’m hopeful he’ll just stay on this pattern for a week or so into bow, which is about another month.
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:55 am

backstraps wrote:Most likely you would want to do an evening sit only. Early season like this especially. So make a well planned out access route to your planned out set up.
Scout your way in!! Look for those big tracks! If you see a lot of fresh sign and you feel you are close enough to the bed where the buck will make it to you with daylight left check your winds, pick a tree, hang and hunt!!

This is exactly how I would approach this as well. For our regular bow opener, you have a fair chance at catching this buck on his feet at last light if you can guess his bedding and get close enough without bumping him.

Also, I would go back and check the wind direction on the day(s) the buck has been pictured there and wait until I had that wind direction to hunt him.
Not all those who wander are lost...
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:03 am

830 PM this time of year is not that late. I'd be he"s closer than you may think.
Rob loper
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/heBuckPsych/

Unread postby Rob loper » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:24 am

Is there any close too first light pics where you can reference wind and direction of travel?
Should be good indicator where he bedding at.
If theres some wet nasty impenetrable crap transition nearby. He probably bedding there at least that time of the year.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:22 pm

TheBuckPsych wrote:Is there any close too first light pics where you can reference wind and direction of travel?
Should be good indicator where he bedding at.
If theres some wet nasty impenetrable crap transition nearby. He probably bedding there at least that time of the year.

I have not gotten him once in the morning. After talking to backstraps I think he’s heading out to eat then making a loop back to his bed. The way he’s headed out is right toward access so that would make sense at least.

I’m getting him on camera pretty much every afternoon we had our prevailing wind during the day.
TNDawg44

Unread postby TNDawg44 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:25 pm

DaveT1963 wrote:830 PM this time of year is not that late. I'd be he"s closer than you may think.

I know you have had a lot of southern success so I’m glad to hear that Dave. I’m gonna try to get him opening day if the wind is right.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”