Probably a Silly Question

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Probably a Silly Question

Unread postby Cchez » Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:32 am

Sorry for this probably silly question, I'm sure it's been answered on here somewhere in the past. I'm just trying to learn as much as I can to make myself a better deer hunter.

Here it is: if the property you are hunting has both aspects of hilly terrain, and swamps, does a mature buck favor one over the other? In my findings so far of my scouting, it seems that i'm finding more of what appear to be old beds in the thick cover in swamps or near water than i am finding them bedding on points in the hilly terrain. I got out to scout later than i should have this year (my first year using beast methods), but I'm playing the hand i've been dealt. So these potential old beds haven't all had hair or droppings in them (some have, but obviously old), but there were definite depressions in the earth in thick cover, and usually had some sort of back cover. Another thing i have noticed, that none of these potential beds have had rubs/scrapes in them. But i think i recall reading somewhere on the lines that dan mentioned not all bedding will have them, especially in lower deer density areas where there's less competition for bedding. Another constant i have noticed are definite travel trails on leeward slopes. Am I on the right track here? Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated!

backstraps

Re: Probably a Silly Question

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:03 am

Im not sure if all things were equal if a buck would prefer hill over swamp or vise versa

I think your older bucks are going to prefer whichever holds the BEST bedding

That best bedding could actually change throughout the year as food pattern, rut, and pressure changes

I think you are on the right track and for sure imho you’re definitely going to see more deer sign on the “prevailing” leeward sides, but certainly need to keep tabs through the property and especially try to do in season scouting as carefully as you can. If its an area you plan to continuously hunt, for sure learn as much as you can about the area. If you tag out early...scout scout scout. Post season until green up scout scout scout. Learn those preferred/primary buck bedding spots
jwilkstn
500 Club
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/jason.wilkerson.71

Unread postby jwilkstn » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:07 am

Sounds to me like you are on the right track and just need to keep at it. Time and experience will teach when mature bucks prefer one type of bedding over the other on that property, but some things I would consider are variance of human intrusion between the hills/swamps, proximity to changing preferred food sources, and how the cover changes with the seasons.
Not all those who wander are lost...
Grizzlyadam
500 Club

Unread postby Grizzlyadam » Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:37 pm

In my experience if they have multiple bedding area options the dominant deer will be in the one that gets the least pressure and the best advantages to detect any potential threat.

To add to that I find that food source and rut/does will influence where they want to be at a given time.

They move around a lot just like we do/ should. You just have to get in there and find the hot sign when it's hot to tell you where they are when you want to hunt them.
KLEMZ

Unread postby KLEMZ » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:23 pm

Cchez, I see you are from NE MN... big woods. I have hunted NW WI near Lake Superior for 30 years. My observations are that both hills and swamps allow bucks to use their senses to avoid predators. Both terrains will produce mature bucks to hunt.

Beds are easier to see in swamps. Beds are easier to miss in the hills, (dry hard ground, low deer density). But both will be exactly where they should be.

I see you are a newer member here on the Beast. I would suggest concentrating on the swamps first. This will allow you to find the beds and learn what they look like in your particular area. Once you can easily ID swamp beds, the hill beds should be easier to ID.

You will eventually be able to find hill beds even with 6" of snow covering them. You will see an area clear of vegetation, with thick to back, on a point, open view downhill. Dig through the snow and find a single white belly hair under the leaf litter. That's all you need! Usually, you can find hairs under the previous years leaf litter also! It's like an archeological dig! I have found three years of leaf litter belly hairs in a single bed.
Bonecrusher101
500 Club

Unread postby Bonecrusher101 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:24 pm

You're on the right track, nice work! Your beds you found without much sign might be used by does or used during summer but might stay cold till the time gets right. Figuring out when certain spots will be good and when is going to take a few seasons. But this site can help you fast track.

Deer in my area move with food and after years of hunting them they seem to be on a similar rotation based on 3 major impacts. 1) safe bedding 2) preferred food 3) comfort from elements.

Deer here are currently hammering soy beans. Soy beans get sprayed with defoliant in late September and deer abandon the beans for better foods namely apples and acorns. I've watched them feed all day without a worry and bed in the beans if left undisturbed and unpressured.

They also aren't in the thickets much this time of year. The preferred foods not there and there is no good air flow through those areas. They really like the open hardwoods when the acorns drop in October. They hole up in the thick nasty areas when the guns start going off and the temps drop.

If you lived in the woods where would you wanna sleep?

During the hot summer I'd like to be on a high hilltop with a breeze (less mosquitos) and nice high canopy providing shade in a hammock. If it was cold I'd rather be out of the wind on the ground with a low thick canopy like short pines. But most of all I'd sleep where I was safe even if I was uncomfortable.

I think they like the swamps here closer to November and December because they provide a nice hideout where most hunters don't tread. when everything starts going dormant in the winter the swamps are still wet and warm holding the last of the green food before things ice over.

There are primary beds where a buck will bed throughout the majority of a hunting season. The ones that I've found are undisturbed by hunters year round. The deer have the advantage and have a solid escape route. Hope this helps good luck!
Be original and Enjoy every step along the adventure.
stash59

Unread postby stash59 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:26 pm

Dan always says if the deer are pressured. Swamps trump hills.
Happiness is a large gutpile!!!!!!!
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:04 am

Thanks for all the replies guys, lots of good info! More in season scouting is definitely going to be implemented this season, and im definitely going to be trying to back track these bucks especially when i get that first snow fall! Now that i have a mobile set up instead of just pre set stands, i can do a lot more.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:40 am

Sounds like you answered your own question in the swamps. In my opinion the swamps hold the biggest oldest bucks, its my go to, If i can choose! Thats where they choose if there pressure mostly. Now there is a lot that can make that change too!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:49 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:Sounds like you answered your own question in the swamps. In my opinion the swamps hold the biggest oldest bucks, its my go to, If i can choose! Thats where they choose if there pressure mostly. Now there is a lot that can make that change too!

Well i guess everyone's answers have me convinced i need to focus on swamps this year now, haha!
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:05 am

Well like i said there some cases that can change that, but if the swamp is thick and there is little pressure You can almost bet on it! The last 4 years of beast scouting on some pressured public land,the bucks were hidin in the swamps most of the time, everybody can hunt dry land and coyotes wolves or what ever live on dry land too, so if the swamp puts them away from 95% of pressure, thats where they will be!
Gosto_33
Facebook: Cody Gostovich

Unread postby Gosto_33 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:30 am

I’ve asked this question too.. and it seems like it always comes back to how much pressure is present and what time of the year it is. If there is any pressure from humans, or predators than they will most likely choose water in my opinion. It’s all situational tho, and your area can have a lot to do with it. If your hills have great cover, and aren’t just completely open hardwoods I could see them using it more often.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Sat Jul 27, 2019 1:31 am

Gosto_33 wrote:I’ve asked this question too.. and it seems like it always comes back to how much pressure is present and what time of the year it is. If there is any pressure from humans, or predators than they will most likely choose water in my opinion. It’s all situational tho, and your area can have a lot to do with it. If your hills have great cover, and aren’t just completely open hardwoods I could see them using it more often.

I see your point. In my area there is human pressure, but being that this particular property its private, so the pressure is fairly light until rifle season. The pressure from predators however is a different story. Lots of wolves, and when theyre not there the coyotes are. Also lots of black bears in the area. This is why i'm starting to think i may need focus more on the swamps which are pretty thick. We have some ash/alder swamps, but larger tracts of tamarack/willow/dogwood that also offer a lot of thick cover.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:53 am

Cchez wrote:
Gosto_33 wrote:I’ve asked this question too.. and it seems like it always comes back to how much pressure is present and what time of the year it is. If there is any pressure from humans, or predators than they will most likely choose water in my opinion. It’s all situational tho, and your area can have a lot to do with it. If your hills have great cover, and aren’t just completely open hardwoods I could see them using it more often.

I see your point. In my area there is human pressure, but being that this particular property its private, so the pressure is fairly light until rifle season. The pressure from predators however is a different story. Lots of wolves, and when theyre not there the coyotes are. Also lots of black bears in the area. This is why i'm starting to think i may need focus more on the swamps which are pretty thick. We have some ash/alder swamps, but larger tracts of tamarack/willow/dogwood that also offer a lot of thick cover.

Your probably better off start with the swamp!

If im looking at a new public property by map to go scout, and there swamp and hills on it, im scouting the swamp first 9 out of 10 times first, unless its just not good cover ill skip it and scout the hills

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”