Bedding input

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Seeker529
Facebook: N/A

Bedding input

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:01 am

Went and did some summer scouting today and I walked this internal transition line along the topological line.. I found several buck beds with rubs in one localized area... kinda curious as to what wind they bed there and why there and not on the point? There’s no oaks or beach just maple trees.. any insight to help me understand why they bed there is a great help!

Seeker529

Re: Bedding input

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:35 am

And the picture is faceing so top is north and bottom is south
Huntress13
500 Club

Unread postby Huntress13 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:48 am

Is that a road or trail to the west, and maybe the south? Can they see anything approaching from those directions? I would guess they bed there on Northerly winds, if they can see what is coming those other directions.
Twigs in my hair, don't care.
Acer18
Facebook: Asa Bays

Unread postby Acer18 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:12 am

I heard somewhere sugar maple leaves are like candy to deer when they turn yellow and first fall.
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 am

With whats seen in the pic, I would assume he is bedding there under north winds. I would be suspicious if thats more of a visual bed than wind based, but would still see the beds used under north winds
Quest1001

Unread postby Quest1001 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:26 am

Seems like he is overlooking access areas and the transition resembles a bowl like swamp bedding.
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:28 am

Appears to be bedding off to the side of a point on the transition between hardwoods and the open area watching the access. Also looking at the topo the two hills on each side of there bedding area will act as a funnel in the evenings when thermals fall. Where they bed they will be able to catch these thermals. Pretty good setup actually, this is a text book setup for a mature buck. Nice find
"Failure is the price for entry for achieving something great"
Seeker529

Unread postby Seeker529 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:54 am

Thanks for the responses I’m still trying to get the hang of understanding why they bed in certain locations ... I would’ve never thought of it watching the access trails which i could see from the beds.. the “bowl” is big open timber.. so it explains it on a north wind he can bed there and watch all around him except his back which is thick.. I was thinking a west wind but nice to get others input
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:16 am

Seeker529 wrote:Thanks for the responses I’m still trying to get the hang of understanding why they bed in certain locations ... I would’ve never thought of it watching the access trails which i could see from the beds.. the “bowl” is big open timber.. so it explains it on a north wind he can bed there and watch all around him except his back which is thick.. I was thinking a west wind but nice to get others input

He can watch his back with his nose. The thermals and wind are to his advantage in this location.
Seeker529

Unread postby Seeker529 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:56 am

May21581... would these be only evening beds cause of the thermals or would they be a anytime bed? Mornings and noon even?
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:11 am

Given the appropriate wind blowing to their back this would be an anytime bed. They can visually see the most used access trails/parking areas during daylight to watch for hunters, the wind will blow scent from behind them to alert them of predators from the back side, and when the wind calms down in the evenings the thermals kick in and suck the scent down that valley to the bed you shown us on the picture.
Their nose is their strongest asset they have for predator detection but dont forget their ears as well. When things get quiet they can hear pretty darn well. In the fall when the leaves are down they will take full advantage of this.
Is there thick multaflora or greenbriar higher up from the beds? The best ones you will find generally have the the nasty stuff to their backs.
My tactic is to get eyes on them from a distance with an observation sit then move in for the kill when I know his travels. Once you get eyes on them and you pay attention to your surroundings and details as to when he was moving the game is on.
Just curious as to what the predominant wind is for that area? Does it blow to that point to the bucks bed? Is this bed downwind of doe bedding? Need to ask yourself why one would be there then figure out when hes there.
Seeker529

Unread postby Seeker529 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:57 am

The predominant wind for this area is northwest which would blow from the top left of the pic to the bucks bedding.... the “top” or Crest of the ridge is all super thick small maples and briars... which is what I assumed the buck has his back to as he can watch the access path and the really open saddle or bowl! I did see some doe bedding in that thick stuff this spring when scouting.. only reason I know it’s does is because I saw three to four beds in the snow!
may21581
500 Club

Unread postby may21581 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:17 am

Yup that's a good bed. Typical buck setup.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”