First Montana Pre-Season Glassing Trip - Success!

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

seazofcheeze
500 Club

First Montana Pre-Season Glassing Trip - Success!

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:10 pm

Headed out to glass around an area Tbunao and I (mostly Tbunao) found some sheds this spring. I was glassing a deep field when I saw a "deer" trotting about a mile away...after a little closer inspection, it was an elk. I drove down the road more to try and grab a pic, turns out it was a bull, first one I have seen in velvet!

20190622_225816.jpg

I headed down the road a few more miles and spotted an orange back way deep...the fields here are much larger than Michigan, so it can be a challenge to spot deer without binos. Anyway, I put the spotter in the window, and it's a pretty good buck, but he's running towards the wood line. Then he stopped, right next to a really nice buck (in pic below). I don't think I've ever seen a buck in person that was this big this early. I got a good picture, and then I checked onX. He is close...like 300yards close to a piece of public land. I plan on shooting a muley this year, but I might have to keep an eye on this guy.

20190622_225558.jpg

Another mile down the road and I catch a faint glimpse of orange along a fence row. Get the spotter out and there's a group of 4 bucks. Two solid ones, and two small ones. I also drove by a 6 mule deer bachelor group on the highway, but didn't stop to get pics. Pretty exciting first trip...I'm going to go broke buying gas this summer :lol:

20190622_225720.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

DhD
500 Club

Re: First Montana Pre-Season Glassing Trip - Success!

Unread postby DhD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:23 pm

You guys have me half seriously pricing homes and looking at jobs in Montana, I can't even imagine having all this in my back yard. Keep the reports coming!
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:35 pm

That first buck is a stud. Great stuff.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
Kokes
500 Club

Unread postby Kokes » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:55 pm

Seaz are you sure those aren't old pics you've take when you were back in Michigan;) ;) ;)
wickedbruiser
500 Club

Unread postby wickedbruiser » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:26 am

Awesome stuff, Jeremy! Bet you miss MI a ton :lol:
Edcyclopedia

Unread postby Edcyclopedia » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:34 am

Way cool!
Expect the Unexpected when you least Expect it...
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 am

DhD wrote:You guys have me half seriously pricing homes and looking at jobs in Montana, I can't even imagine having all this in my back yard. Keep the reports coming!

Turns out Montana is full now, and they closed the borders. On a more serious note, housing is definitely more expensive here than it was in Michigan, and jobs seem to pay less on average, not a great combination. I guess that's the price to pay for living in a sportsman's paradise though.

I should also mention that a lot of the stuff I have been seeing isn't exactly in my backyard. I have put 9,000 miles on my vehicle in just over 4 months, so I am covering lots of ground.
DhD
500 Club

Unread postby DhD » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:52 am

I would consider a two hour drive "in my backyard". Most of my spots are at least an hour from home and not nearly as cool as yours.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:23 am

Looking good. :L:
I can relate to the "in my backyard" feeling. My new home is surrounded by significant amount of public ground. But you earn it in time and gas running backroads. Windshield time adds up.

The ground isn't going anywhere. Knowledge and experience are slowly adding up.

My last evening drive around gave me a glimpse of some bucks standing in the stream drinking. Beautiful and great intel for chasing them.

Are you using a cell phone /spotter combo for pics?
You don't have to be the best, just do your best.
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:57 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:Looking good. :L:
I can relate to the "in my backyard" feeling. My new home is surrounded by significant amount of public ground. But you earn it in time and gas running backroads. Windshield time adds up.

My last evening drive around gave me a glimpse of some bucks standing in the stream drinking. Beautiful and great intel for chasing them.

I couldn't agree more, putting the time in definitely pays dividends.

I am using a Vortex Razor 20-60x 85mm spotting scope, with a Phone Skope case adapter and a Galaxy S9 cell phone. The pics I posted, the bigger was buck was 600yds out (measured on OnX) and the bachelor group was closer to 1000yds. Obviously not crystal clear magazine quality photos, but since I already owned the spotter and a cell phone, it was around $75 bucks to get the phone skope and be able to take pics and videos. I think a guy could definitely engineer the phone case though, but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that stuff :lol:
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:17 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:

I am using a Vortex Razor 20-60x 85mm spotting scope, with a Phone Skope case adapter and a Galaxy S9 cell phone. The pics I posted, the bigger was buck was 600yds out (measured on OnX) and the bachelor group was closer to 1000yds. Obviously not crystal clear magazine quality photos, but since I already owned the spotter and a cell phone, it was around $75 bucks to get the phone skope and be able to take pics and videos. I think a guy could definitely engineer the phone case though, but I'm kind of lazy when it comes to that stuff :lol:

The ranges possible with those spotter/phone scope combos are amazing. Like you said, not magazine quality but what you need is there. How much longer till go time???
seazofcheeze
500 Club

Unread postby seazofcheeze » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:08 pm

justdirtyfun wrote:
seazofcheeze wrote:

The ranges possible with those spotter/phone scope combos are amazing. Like you said, not magazine quality but what you need is there. How much longer till go time???

Headed to North Dakota Aug 30 - Sep 2 for the whitetail archery opener, then the following weekend, Sept 7th is the deer/elk archery opener in Montana
tbunao
500 Club

Unread postby tbunao » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:30 pm

seazofcheeze wrote:
DhD wrote:You guys have me half seriously pricing homes and looking at jobs in Montana, I can't even imagine having all this in my back yard. Keep the reports coming!

Turns out Montana is full now, and they closed the borders.On a more serious note, housing is definitely more expensive here than it was in Michigan, and jobs seem to pay less on average, not a great combination. I guess that's the price to pay for living in a sportsman's paradise though.

I should also mention that a lot of the stuff I have been seeing isn't exactly in my backyard. I have put 9,000 miles on my vehicle in just over 4 months, so I am covering lots of ground.

No vacancy :lol:

Yea I’ve had my vehicle since May 3rd and am about due for an oil change

Your chasing big bucks and I’m chasing trout in world class streams. This place sucks
justdirtyfun
500 Club

Unread postby justdirtyfun » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 am

Now Montana is overpopulated with

Wolves. The wildlife will need all the help it can get. :twisted:
Good luck.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”