Buck bedding in the South

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

DougM
Facebook: moseley152@gmail.com

Buck bedding in the South

Unread postby DougM » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:00 pm

So I'm having a hard time. I've been scouting and finding what I think are buck beds. The problem is im not finding allot of hair in them. Also will summer beds still be the beds they are using in October? I've noticed that allot of what I am finding is on field edges next to major human travel routes. The beds I have found are over watching these walkways set up for a South wind. I've only found one for a north wind.
IMG_20190603_163639984.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

freezeAR
500 Club

Re: Buck bedding in the South

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:34 am

The amount of hair isn't that important to me. I will not call it a deer bed unless I find some hair. Unless it is farm country, I would think the field edge beds are not the ones to focus on. What type of terrain are you in?
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:04 am

Those are probably night beds near food sources. Or summer bedding I don't see a pressured mature buck bedding on a field edge during season perhaps on a private managed farm.

It is possible during the rut it could be a rut bed for the buck to small the does feeding in the fields. He can lay their during the night to chew cud after feeding and smell the does. Then heading to his primary bedding in thick cover.

I rarely find alot of hair in beds in hill country our bucks shift alot. Though a few times I have located heavy pressed down single beds.

In the south buck bedding is hard to locate their might only be 1 good bedding area for a mile. Most square miles only have a few. They are often in thick cover or overlooked spots where very few people go. I've seen alot of bucks bed on clearcut edges though not every clear cut is good. If the clearcut has easy access and parking nearby I avoid it.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
DougM
Facebook: moseley152@gmail.com

Unread postby DougM » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:30 pm

I really don't know how to describe the terrain, it's on a lake. Corp land
Screenshot_20190604-163410.png
maybe this helps
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 pm

you should be careful what you post your pic has the coordinates, might be pretty popular come fall.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”