My Eye of the Tiger moment....first post

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

phack3

My Eye of the Tiger moment....first post

Unread postby phack3 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:29 am

Beasts,

The time has come for me to make my first post (cue opening riff of Eye of the Tiger.) I have a conceptual understanding of wind, thermals, and bedding as laid out in the Bedding DVD series, but when it comes time to do this by my lonesome, I might as well rubber stamp the map with "a buck lives here."

So for my first post, I'm posting two images of one property. I'll only do this for two more properties. What I'm asking from you is to take a look at these areas and please give me your feed back and if possible, your mark-ups as to where you would suspect buck bedding to be and where you might set-up.

I know. Rich, right? After reading a few scouting posts, it became clear to me that once I see "it" I learn it so much better.

Some info to help:
1. I plan on sitting the property (public) a max of three times. I haven't determined if its early, rut, or late. Knowledge wise I'm not there yet.
2. The property in question is highlighted in red dots. If you're feeling adventurous, you can check the property across the road too.
3. I've scouted this property and seen rubs(indicated by the red tree pins) and scat and "beds." But with my knowledge you can chalk it up to my brain saying...."whoa... deer sign!"
4. In the upper leftist-ish corner, those dashed dark-blue and light-blue lines are where I theorize where buck bedding could be based on west/east winds.

I know this is a ton to ask, but I don't know what I don't know and want to learn so that at the least my screw ups will be highly calculated.

Thank you to all who might decide to undertake this adventure.

Patrick
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

RidgeGhost
500 Club

Re: My Eye of the Tiger moment....first post

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:08 am

First lesson on the beast = dont post maps like that. You may think nobody else will find it, or that it doesn't matter. But I can promise you someone else will find it and will use any information you put out there. If you value anything you find, dont post it.

Best thing to do is send it to another beast that you can trust to look at it. Lots of guys on here willing to help.
RidgeGhost
500 Club

Unread postby RidgeGhost » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:12 am

Just so you know how easy it really is, it took me about 15 seconds on onX to find that spot
Twenty Up
500 Club

Unread postby Twenty Up » Sat Jun 08, 2019 1:02 pm

I’d focus on that sandbar off the river, aside from that the area looks wayyy too easily accessible.
The woods West of the road and adjacent to the food plots could be good overlooked areas.
I’m not saying you can’t kill a deer off a public food plot, I’ve never seen a big buck use them during daylight though..
Trust the Process~~ Lost Boys Outdoors ~~

YoutTube: https://youtube.com/channel/UC7TXknGut5WfZQ6CbddgqYg
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:56 am

Honestly I wouldn't even spend my time on that dirt. Too small and too easy too get into and out of.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:48 am

A5BLASTER wrote:Honestly I wouldn't even spend my time on that dirt. Too small and too easy too get into and out of.

I wouldnt pass on anything, till i set foot on it and scouted it out first. Ive seen some big bucks come off of small tracks, like 15 acres, that everybody could easily get too! I would have to say alot on here would call those over looked spots!
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
A5BLASTER
500 Club

Unread postby A5BLASTER » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:30 am

UofLbowhunter wrote:
A5BLASTER wrote:Honestly I wouldn't even spend my time on that dirt. Too small and too easy too get into and out of.

I wouldnt pass on anything, till i set foot on it and scouted it out first. Ive seen some big bucks come off of small tracks, like 15 acres, that everybody could easily get too! I would have to say alot on here would call those over looked spots!

Too each his own. I hunt in Louisiana, so far where I hunt I wouldn't even waist my time scouring that peice of dirt.

For one reason alone, come 2 weeks before gun season and the gun season. That peice would turn into a orange army magnet.

Over looked too me has zero too do with close too a road and wide open. To me over looked is a certain terrain or lil patch of oak trees that drop acorns like stupid every year, nestled into a small mostly dry creek bed in the middle of nowhere pine plantation.

Down here a place like OP posted about would have tons and I mean tons of track and scrapes and rubs. But they would be 1000% all night time sign and the deer would simple use it for traveling.

That intern would draw even more orange army warriors.

But I'm willing to admit up north or out west or east where ever the OP is located. It might be something.

Down here waist of time.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”