Scouting Maps

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

BrennanNTX

Scouting Maps

Unread postby BrennanNTX » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:03 pm

Below I’ll post an aerial of the public land I’ve hunted the last couple years. It is some ravines that all funnel down to a lake. Most of it is thick woods. Has anyone hunted terrain like this? Most ridge tops all have a stand on them. What would you consider a possible overlooked area? Do you think in most cases mature bucks bed close to the points by the lake? There are without a doubt mature bucks in the area. Just having trouble locating bedding and getting on them in daylight.

65930114-27A4-4193-89A5-CF576B91D219.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Drenalin
500 Club

Re: Scouting Maps

Unread postby Drenalin » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:41 am

Where there aren't people, or possibly overlooking access. That's about all the help I've got, except to warn you this is a lot of information to post on a public forum.
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:39 am

Points I have seen near large bodies of water seldom have beds on them. I think it has to do with not having a good escape route. Of course, each scenerio is unique and my statement is a generalization.

Look for areas that don't have hunter sign. Look for hard to reach areas. Distance and steep terrain deter others.
Evanszach7
500 Club

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:27 am

Think about how others are accessing their stands and where a buck could bed to monitor them.

Looks like secondary points are worth scouting here.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:59 pm

Honestly I wouldn't hunt that area at all.
Their is so many roads , lack of escape routes, lack of entry routes to bedding.

Your entry could only come in from the side if a buck was using that area. Chances are if ones bedded on a point he would be watching boat access.

If I had to pick a spot to sit it would be the blue spots
Screenshot_20190610-041606_Photo Editor.jpg
rut spot where bucks use that as a funnel. That spot connects east and west ridges it's very low which should produce thick cover and a deep creek crossing.

One near dale b jr north. One far northwest.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
cougar

Unread postby cougar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 12:54 am

That open water and the multiple roads puts everything close to easy access. Probably not my first choice property. But if there's big. Buck sign there and ur getting daytime sightings or pictures I'd check the top of the big ravines as funnels and possibly look for overlooked spot near heavy fishing access which .might have less hunting pressure. I'd be walking the deer trails back into the thickets in post season
row row row your boat, gently down the stream ...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”