Bedding on points/fingers?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cchez
Facebook: codiechesney is my Instagram

Bedding on points/fingers?

Unread postby Cchez » Thu May 30, 2019 3:01 am

Hi guys, I recently found a spot that i have yet to put boots on the ground, but have done some virtual scouting on. My question is, does anyone have experience with finding bedding on points or fingers that run out into large shallow ponds? Looking at the aerial pictures, these ponds dont have water in them every year, so im guessing when they do have water it isnt terribly deep. Im hoping to get out and check the area soon. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I can provide pictures if anyone wants to see what im looking at.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Bedding on points/fingers?

Unread postby dan » Thu May 30, 2019 6:52 am

Sometimes... It depends. If the escape is thru open water and there is better bedding elswhere on the property I usually don't see bedding there... But, say its a large open mature forest but it gets thick on that point and its the best bedding around? well then I do... A lot of bedding is relevent to the rest of the terrain... For example, where Im at in Wisconsin there are lots of swamps, marshs, and thick areas where deer can hide and it can be a chore finding mature bucks, but go to S/W Iowas open terrain and bucks are bedding under bushes that wouldn't hold a rabbit here... They have no choice really, cause of the limited terrain and cover... So, looks like you got some scouting to do to see what your up against...
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Thu May 30, 2019 7:25 am

Thanks for the info dan. I'm learning its no simple to find big mature bucks in northeast Mn where im at. Lots of vast wilderness and swamps to scour over. Thats not to say they arent around, I do manage get some pictures of them here and there, or have a sighting from the truck. Just putting the pieces of the puzzle together finding where they hang is a whole different story.

Here's a few pictures of what i'm looking at. One shows the contours of the land.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
NH Teufelhund

Unread postby NH Teufelhund » Thu May 30, 2019 1:15 pm

The finger into the pond does not look as sexy to me as the finger / point (or even a small island) jutting out into the cattail located on the center (top to bottom) and far right edge of the first pic.

Other than that also I the center of the upper third of that pic there are some blatant saddles to the right of the large pond.
JAK
500 Club

Unread postby JAK » Thu May 30, 2019 1:52 pm

First spot i would check would also be that island on the right hand side in the center. Looks like possible thick vedding cover on the one side of that island as well. And those little creeks would give a buck a little more security as well.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Fri May 31, 2019 2:00 am

Thanks for the thoughts guys. Im anxious to get out and look at this area on the ground.
Wannabelikedan
500 Club

Unread postby Wannabelikedan » Fri May 31, 2019 2:04 am

What is this transition area made up of? If the water isn’t consistent enough for bedding in those ponds this little area would be of interest to me. At least in early season.
DA42F38B-923D-4B95-A1FC-4E42265F014C.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teaching is only demonstrating that it is possible.... Learning is making it possible for yourself.
Cchez

Unread postby Cchez » Fri May 31, 2019 2:26 am

Wannabelikedan wrote:What is this transition area made up of? If the water isn’t consistent enough for bedding in those ponds this little area would be of interest to me. At least in early season. DA42F38B-923D-4B95-A1FC-4E42265F014C.jpeg

Judging by the native trees in the area and the aerial photos ive looked at, it looks to be a mix of ash, balsam/spruce and maybe tamarack down in that low area. The higher spots would be mostly conifers and poplar mixed in. I haven't walked any of it yet, but those are the dominant species in the area. I've added a further expanded picture of the area. Its not too far from where i live, so i can really hunt it from september through the end of december.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”