New Spot

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Trout
500 Club

New Spot

Unread postby Trout » Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 am

Remembered seeing a nice buck in the woods while I was driving by a few years ago and thought I would go give the area a look after seeing some good features a little further back in on the computer. It was pretty sparse sign for a while, I kinda came in about a half mile west on an elk trail. There is cedar swamp and mixed pines to the north, and a hardwood ridge full of oaks to the south/southeast. Even a few white oaks which are sparse around here. My target was a small amoeba-shaped marsh that has a creek flowing through it you can almost jump across.
Screenshot_20190527-145135_Maps.jpg

When I was almost there, I started to get out of the elk sign and into more deer sign, including a rub here and there and my first bed in the cedar swamp on a small 6' wide island surrounded by water. There was even a small rub there.

IMG_20190526_110728_865.jpg

A little further east the elk run went up the ridge and I stayed low walking the transition and looking for deer sign. Next thing you know, I'm on an old, overgrown railroad grade. They are scattered everywhere around here and haven't been used for probably 100 years. I walked it for a couple hundred yards towards my little marsh and spotted a better looking rub from last fall.

20190525_190949.jpg

Finally I was on the marsh and walking the south transition looking for a heavy trail coming out to the oak ridge. I didnt find one, but a small rub caught my eye. I walked over to it and there were like 6 runs around it, some facing south, some facing north, some facing east some facing west. Most were a foot or two off the ground, one was like inches off the ground and it just felt like a bed surrounded by ribs so I got down low to look for hair and there was a big clump,

IMG_20190525_212950_008.jpg

IMG_20190525_212950_010.jpg

I was in the more open part of the transition, and then noticed a faint runway going into the thicker dogwood towards the marsh and followed it in. It was wet, the runways were flooded and there were basically old rubs and last year's rubs in every direction on the small shrubs in the marsh. I followed the heavy trails to the point to my right, scouted it for a tree, then came back out and followed it over to the point to the west.

I was losing light and had to hike out so I didnt get to fully explore all of the points and the whole transition around the marsh. I kinda want to go back and beeline right for it before the end of the month, but I also kinda want to just leave it alone until season and think I have enough info to do so. Will put a couple trail cams in the area a couple hundred yards east and west in a few weeks and let em soak till season and I'm back in the area.

The first topo shot below shows my rout and where I marked some of the nicer rubs. I feel like a buck or bucks could bed on almost all of those points on almost any wind and have other solid options real close by if he got bumped or felt uncomfortable. I really wish I had more time to walk the full south transition. Maybe I will go back, Haha! Anything on this little marsh jumping out at you guys?

Screenshot_20190527-190836_onX Hunt.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”