California Public Land Boundaries for Google Earth?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

crackehelmet

California Public Land Boundaries for Google Earth?

Unread postby crackehelmet » Wed May 15, 2019 3:40 pm

I've got a friend who lives in California that is interested in taking up hunting, so I've been trying to help get him prepared with what he needs to know, and was trying to give him an introduction to cyber scouting. I've spent the night looking for a .KMZ file for the public hunting ground boundaries for Cali and all I can come up with are the Zone boundaries. Does anyone know of a place that has the actual hunting ground boundaries?

greenhorndave
500 Club

Re: California Public Land Boundaries for Google Earth?

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 15, 2019 3:43 pm

OnX?
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
crackehelmet

Unread postby crackehelmet » Wed May 15, 2019 4:43 pm

greenhorndave wrote:OnX?

Yeah, I recommended OnX, and I have it but not for cali. I still like google earth better for cyber scouting because you can look at historical imagery and see different parts of the year. May not be as important over there though as it is here in Minnesota.
greenhorndave
500 Club

Unread postby greenhorndave » Wed May 15, 2019 4:52 pm

crackehelmet wrote:

Yeah, I recommended OnX, and I have it but not for cali. I still like google earth better for cyber scouting because you can look at historical imagery and see different parts of the year. May not be as important over there though as it is here in Minnesota.

I agree. Where OnX is really good is showing the boundary lines. I usually use OnX for boundary definition, then Google imagery to reveal the features within that boundary.
----------
Sometimes when things get tough, weird or both, you just need to remember this...
https://youtu.be/d4tSE2w53ts
walking river

Unread postby walking river » Sun May 26, 2019 2:36 am

crackehelmet wrote:

Just found this thread today...
I am new to hunting in southern Ca and am just starting to explore access...the historical data google earth provides is important out here too since it can reveal burn areas and the regrowth following a burn. The boundary information provided by onX is critical since the public lands border reservations, private property, water conservation land.....it's patrolled out here if its not public so you don't want to wander.
Actually going out today to check out some areas of the Cleveland National Forest for deer this fall and turkey next spring.
Have been advised to go out with a partner because of the presence of cougars and rattlesnakes but as of now, I'm a one man gang.
I can't stand this indecision married with a lack of vision...

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”