Predicting Exit Trails

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

funderburk
500 Club

Predicting Exit Trails

Unread postby funderburk » Thu May 09, 2019 10:36 pm

How would you predict exit trails for, let’s say in hill country where they aren’t visible from a topo? More specifically, how would you predict them based on the time of season (early, rut, late)?

“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
Evanszach7
500 Club

Re: Predicting Exit Trails

Unread postby Evanszach7 » Thu May 09, 2019 11:50 pm

In hill county I’m more concerned with getting as tight as possible and using the terrain to guess how he’ll leave a bed (down, up, or maintain that elevation). Gives you a 1/3 to 50% chance at picking the right exit. If I can get close enough in the staging area I don’t really need to know where he’s wanting to go. Opening week it might help you be able to setup a bit further back though.
Tennhunter3
500 Club

Unread postby Tennhunter3 » Fri May 10, 2019 1:15 am

Usually their is 3 trails leaving bedding areas. A primary well worn route , escape route, entry to bed trail. My experience is only in hill country.

Their is a Am trail leading upto bed but the main time I think it will be used as a exit route is if food sources are in season in that direction. Course if you hunt below it on rising thermal then you would never kill the buck anyway so hunting the Am trail in afternoon is not a great idea most of the time.

The escape route often is a lightly used trail leading torward thick cover sometimes it is not visible. A aerial should give you the general direction torward the nearest thick cover somewhere along it.

If you follow trails often leaving bedding theirs not that many to hunt and the big obvious ones going along hillsides is the right one to hunt most of the time.

Prediction by looking at a map you should be able to eliminate 2 trails easily. The escape and below entry trails. Then you can look at what wind and make sure to not hunt the upwind area only one direction should be left for you to focus on. The buck could leave walking into the wind but it's real hard to setup on a off wind.

For me it's a process of elimination.
I know bucks sometimes leave in other directions but it's harder to setup in most of those directions. If your a new beast keep it simple. After you know the area well then you could try hunting some off wind spots.

Hopefully this helps.
Some areas are unique and you can use creeks or ravines to hunt some spots. The above is more of a general guide. Their are always exceptions such as doe bedding rut timeframe. Then I would be more risky and find a way for a object to pull my scent away.
Never give up Freedom for imagined safety.
mheichelbech
500 Club
Facebook: mheichelbech@gmail.com

Unread postby mheichelbech » Fri May 10, 2019 3:19 am

A lot of times the right answer for me to is, while examine the bed, and surrounding area, is to ask myself what would I do if I were a buck living here? How would I walk out? Which direction would I start browsing?
"One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy; there every man stands for what he actually is and can show himself to be." — Theodore Roosevelt, 1893
backstraps

Unread postby backstraps » Fri May 10, 2019 4:01 am

Depending if you’re talking about
Cyber prediction or actual boots on the ground prediction

Cyber...you’re guessing a buck bed being there first then a good aerial could tip off some predictions of food water etc

Boots on the ground the previous post both share some of what Id say....but for sure being in the bed and questioning why the bed is there, when you think the bed is most be used and look at the trail(s) coming in and out of the bed. Predictions are just that until you get first hand sits on the bed.
dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Unread postby dan » Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 am

You predict exit trails mainly from scouting... Some bedding areas only have one exit. Those are easy, but many, especially the best and primary bedding area have several exits based on timing of food sources, rut, water, etc. Escape and entrance are rarely visible in my experience in hill country, but may be visible in other terrains like marsh cattails where its so thick they are forced to use a specific trail. They come in based on the wind direction, they leave based on food, does, water, etc. If you didn't do a good job scouting or you have to guess, the way to do it is look at the nearby food sources for fresh buck sign, if it came from the bedding your thinking, the trail heading that way would be the one... Rut, a lot of the time they maintain the 1/3 elevation, and extreme heat can send them towards water if its near the bedding. Scouting is number one... Fresh sign on trails coming from bedding tells me the buck is exiting on that trail. If there is multiple trails coming out its a good idea to have set ups scouted out on each exit. Lastly, expect timing patterns to repeat themselves. If you see bucks exiting a certain way in early October, expect the same thing next year early October..
funderburk
500 Club

Unread postby funderburk » Sat May 11, 2019 1:17 am

dan wrote:You predict exit trails mainly from scouting... Some bedding areas only have one exit. Those are easy, but many, especially the best and primary bedding area have several exits based on timing of food sources, rut, water, etc. Escape and entrance are rarely visible in my experience in hill country, but may be visible in other terrains like marsh cattails where its so thick they are forced to use a specific trail. They come in based on the wind direction, they leave based on food, does, water, etc. If you didn't do a good job scouting or you have to guess, the way to do it is look at the nearby food sources for fresh buck sign, if it came from the bedding your thinking, the trail heading that way would be the one... Rut, a lot of the time they maintain the 1/3 elevation, and extreme heat can send them towards water if its near the bedding. Scouting is number one... Fresh sign on trails coming from bedding tells me the buck is exiting on that trail. If there is multiple trails coming out its a good idea to have set ups scouted out on each exit. Lastly, expect timing patterns to repeat themselves. If you see bucks exiting a certain way in early October, expect the same thing next year early October..

That narrows it down for me. I'm thinking early season exit routes in my areas will be focused mainly on water as it gets insanely hot during September in South Carolina. I found several isolated water holes that might be worth prioritizing during opening day. Food and does for the rest of the season makes total sense.
“I’ve always believed that the mind is the best weapon.” John Rambo
rfickes87
500 Club

Unread postby rfickes87 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:52 am

dan wrote:You predict exit trails mainly from scouting... Some bedding areas only have one exit. Those are easy, but many, especially the best and primary bedding area have several exits based on timing of food sources, rut, water, etc. Escape and entrance are rarely visible in my experience in hill country, but may be visible in other terrains like marsh cattails where its so thick they are forced to use a specific trail. They come in based on the wind direction, they leave based on food, does, water, etc. If you didn't do a good job scouting or you have to guess, the way to do it is look at the nearby food sources for fresh buck sign, if it came from the bedding your thinking, the trail heading that way would be the one... Rut, a lot of the time they maintain the 1/3 elevation, and extreme heat can send them towards water if its near the bedding. Scouting is number one... Fresh sign on trails coming from bedding tells me the buck is exiting on that trail. If there is multiple trails coming out its a good idea to have set ups scouted out on each exit. Lastly, expect timing patterns to repeat themselves. If you see bucks exiting a certain way in early October, expect the same thing next year early October..

Dan, i have a situation where i do not know the exact exit routes either. (bedding is a point in hill country). Thick clear cut to back across the top of the ridge. open hardwoods below and with a small creek about 100-130 yards down from the point. I could see multiple trees to climb along that creek while scouting beds. My thought is that in the hot early season they'll get up just before dark and walk down to the creek and drink and feed on white oak acorns. Now... my plan was to just wait till season starts and walk in just after sundown and climb one of those trees and be set up below the bedding. but I'd like to know that i'm in THE tree. So would I be doing harm to just walk that creek bottom before season starts in September and try and look for a heavy trail where a buck could be dropping down in the evening for water? I'd be 130 yards from the bedding so i shouldn't disturb the bedding but if he smells me at the creek he might not drink from there anymore right?

This is how i killed my buck this year except the buck's desired destination was a corn field, not a creek. More specifically...the lowest elevation of that corn field where the cool evening thermals pooled from off the ridge. My buck had a beaten path to that corn field, relying on the dropping thermals for safety. It was very obvious and I noticed that trail on opening day and set up on it.

So I guess the right answer is to just wait till its time to kill and go in and hope i can find a trail to set up on as i'm walking in... but sure would be nice to prescout a couple weeks before and see where a buck is heavily traveling to get water along that creek. But i don't want to ruin my hunt before i even start.
"Pressure and Time. That's all it takes, really. Pressure, and time..."
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat May 11, 2019 8:46 am

Here is a related question - I just found a new bedding area in hill country, an east/west ridge with two tiers with sign which suggests mature buck bedding at a high level and other buck bedding one level below (~100ft below). As I am walking trails and predicting exits I know there is Ag to the east (very close), and Ag to the north (close), but to the west I pass through a trough in the terrain about the dimensions of a football field, directly next to the hill bedding, which is thick with younger trees and littered with big rubs from end to end. Continuing to the west from there is just woods. The only thing notable is good doe bedding and natural browse, fresh cuts, etc a quarter mile further in that direction. There are trails going to all three directions. So the question is which side to hunt first - the direction of Ag or the rubs? On my way out there I was thinking the Ag. But now I am thinking the side with the rubs. Just so many trees destroyed in there (both sides), and big clumped droppings old and fresh, big tracks, etc. Could be staging. If nothing else I am associating at least some of the rubbing with early season and it will be easy to see on my way in whether I guessed right. I welcome any thoughts on it.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 11, 2019 9:12 am

rfickes87 wrote:

Dan, i have a situation where i do not know the exact exit routes either. (bedding is a point in hill country). Thick clear cut to back across the top of the ridge. open hardwoods below and with a small creek about 100-130 yards down from the point. I could see multiple trees to climb along that creek while scouting beds. My thought is that in the hot early season they'll get up just before dark and walk down to the creek and drink and feed on white oak acorns. Now... my plan was to just wait till season starts and walk in just after sundown and climb one of those trees and be set up below the bedding. but I'd like to know that i'm in THE tree. So would I be doing harm to just walk that creek bottom before season starts in September and try and look for a heavy trail where a buck could be dropping down in the evening for water? I'd be 130 yards from the bedding so i shouldn't disturb the bedding but if he smells me at the creek he might not drink from there anymore right?

This is how i killed my buck this year except the buck's desired destination was a corn field, not a creek. More specifically...the lowest elevation of that corn field where the cool evening thermals pooled from off the ridge. My buck had a beaten path to that corn field, relying on the dropping thermals for safety. It was very obvious and I noticed that trail on opening day and set up on it.

So I guess the right answer is to just wait till its time to kill and go in and hope i can find a trail to set up on as i'm walking in... but sure would be nice to prescout a couple weeks before and see where a buck is heavily traveling to get water along that creek. But i don't want to ruin my hunt before i even start.

So... Why wouldn't you scout it now and look for the trail, then set the day of the hunt rather than walk the bottom? If its a regular destination from that bedding area, I would expect sign down there. Even if its old sign. If you have not scouted it, but suspect its bedding, thats when I would try your plan. If you know about it now, scout it now... You should be able to at least find a trail maybe some old rubs.
dan
Site Owner

Unread postby dan » Sat May 11, 2019 9:18 am

ODH wrote:Here is a related question - I just found a new bedding area in hill country, an east/west ridge with two tiers with sign which suggests mature buck bedding at a high level and other buck bedding one level below (~100ft below). As I am walking trails and predicting exits I know there is Ag to the east (very close), and Ag to the north (close), but to the west I pass through a trough in the terrain about the dimensions of a football field, directly next to the hill bedding, which is thick with younger trees and littered with big rubs from end to end. Continuing to the west from there is just woods. The only thing notable is good doe bedding and natural browse, fresh cuts, etc a quarter mile further in that direction. There are trails going to all three directions. So the question is which side to hunt first - the direction of Ag or the rubs? On my way out there I was thinking the Ag. But now I am thinking the side with the rubs. Just so many trees destroyed in there (both sides), and big clumped droppings old and fresh, big tracks, etc. Could be staging. If nothing else I am associating at least some of the rubbing with early season and it will be easy to see on my way in whether I guessed right. I welcome any thoughts on it.

The rubbing is most likely due in large part because of rut... Could be bucks are bedding there a little during early season to (they like the edge of thick even in hill country) but, the destination early season is probably towards food. It could be the browse in that thick area, could be a field, or could be oaks... But rut = does / early = food... Don't over think it.
ODH
500 Club

Unread postby ODH » Sat May 11, 2019 1:16 pm

Thanks!

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”