How to find October buck beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Bogie

How to find October buck beds

Unread postby Bogie » Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:25 am

Hi guys. I hunt the mountains of PA. When spring scouting where would you start to look? The big woods are so vast. How do you narrow it down? What do you look for specificity? If you find a bed how do you know he is using that spot come October? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks guys!!!

Matt Gill
500 Club

Re: How to find October buck beds

Unread postby Matt Gill » Tue May 07, 2019 12:01 am

If you’re in hill country I’d start looking on all the top 1/3 leeward ridges for bedding. Also I like to use a aerial map to help indenting transitions lines and focus a lot of my time around walking those. In October I’d try to focus on bedding revolving around food. oaks dropping, crop fields, natural browse. I know it’s hard in big woods but they’re eating something somewhere. Utilize in season scouting to indentify exactly what that is. I’m not sure if you have dans hill country dvd but I think that would be the best place to start!
BackCoverBowHunter

Re: How to find October buck beds

Unread postby BackCoverBowHunter » Tue May 07, 2019 6:42 am

Matt Gill wrote:If you’re in hill country I’d start looking on all the top 1/3 leeward ridges for bedding. Also I like to use a aerial map to help indenting transitions lines and focus a lot of my time around walking those. In October I’d try to focus on bedding revolving around food. oaks dropping, crop fields, natural browse. I know it’s hard in big woods but they’re eating something somewhere. Utilize in season scouting to identify exactly what that is. I’m not sure if you have Dan's hill country dvd but I think that would be the best place to start!

This ^ & look for the transitions/edges on that 1/3 Leeward side
Extreme Effort Only

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”