Railroad Beds

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Lockdown

Re: Railroad Beds

Unread postby Lockdown » Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:54 am

Found my biggest shed antler on a RR right of way next to some trees. Buck was using the break in tree canopy for some sun...

It’s a refuge, but it’s small and people hunt the edge pretty hard. Bedding and shed hunting principles are the same as any other property.

Hawthorne
500 Club

Unread postby Hawthorne » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:03 am

I was just talking to one of my customers that works for the railroad. He was telling me about all the giant bucks they see along the tracks. He’s not a hunter so he’s probably a good source of info. I should tell him to mark it on his gps and send me the waypoint. Lol
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:16 am

Here I go again, making every topic about me, ha! I am glad this topic just came up because I was driving home from work and saw a nice 8 pointer with some does on a railroad track that runs through public. The tracks run parallel to a busy road and the tracks and the road cant be more than 75 yards apart. The tracks sit up high as they run through a public marsh that has the tendency to flood in the spring. The deer appeared to be feeding on the tracks and this lead me to believe they are picking up corn and soybeans that the rail cars are leaving behind but just my best guess.

I am looking at a 2 mile walk just to get to these deer and I have to follow the railroad tracks all the way to them. So here is my question, south of the tracks is the busy road and north of the tracks is a large marsh; Should I walk the road side of the tracks when entering or the marsh side? My thought is that the road side would be better as its basically a large ditch and would conceal my movement and I am assuming the deer are bedded in the hardwoods scattered throughout the marsh.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
‭‭Proverbs‬ ‭12:27‬ ‭NIV‬‬
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:24 am

OK, now I almost sure these deer are actually feeding on the railroad tracks. I didn't notice this on my first pass but there is a grain elevator close by that I am almost certain holds corn or soybeans. My guess is that the rail cars are getting stopped for loading/unloading and feed is falling onto the tracks.
“The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.”
DaveT1963
500 Club

Unread postby DaveT1963 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:13 am

Railroads are no different than highways - utilized by animals - overlooked by most hunters.
Elite
500 Club

Unread postby Elite » Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:25 am

It's also considered federal trespassing to walk railroad tracks. I was able to get permission from the track owner a couple years ago but he was hesitant considering the liability...
NorthStar
500 Club

Unread postby NorthStar » Sat Dec 21, 2019 8:33 am

Elite wrote:It's also considered federal trespassing to walk railroad tracks. I was able to get permission from the track owner a couple years ago but he was hesitant considering the liability...

Yup, its an important call out for sure. In the interest of being open and transparent; a law that I have admittedly broken on multiple occasions.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”