Deer Scat?

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

OUBrew

Deer Scat?

Unread postby OUBrew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:57 am

How much do you use deer scat in assessing bedding? I have heard you cannot tell much about the animal from appearance other than what they are eating. I have noticed large discrepancies in size of the pellets and sometimes the amount. Any correlation to the size or gender of the animal? In the absence of rubs and hair, do you use large amounts of deer droppings to locate bedding?

I have found some areas I think must be used for bedding but not finding typical bedding sign...specifically hair in the area.

218er
500 Club

Re: Deer Scat?

Unread postby 218er » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:46 pm

I believe size is a direct correlation to the size of the animal. Real mature bucks basically leave clumps. Whenever I see deer poop I gauge the size and freshness. As far as bedding proximity not real sure, I’ve seen poop in areas where a buck wasn’t bedding many times. I’ve found deer beds where you wouldn’t think they’d be. Pressure and habitat have a great influence. Finding a bed or jumping the deer out of a bed is the only 100% beyond reasonable doubt method I know of to determine where they bed.
Persistence is undefeated.
UofLbowhunter
500 Club

Unread postby UofLbowhunter » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:15 pm

By theory big poop equals big deer, but not always. Food sources play a role, drier foods in some cases wont clump as well, and be mostly loose pellets. Now as far as finding poop and bedding, if your in an area that is bedding habitat, points of marsh or swamps ,hill points and ect. and your finding a place that has a bunch of poop, old and fresh, i would think there very well be bedding close. I would think your in the staging area of bedding. It would be worth investigating further for me. Now there are times you can stumble on some areas that have alot of scat around feeding areas but i think the key word would be feeding areas.

Swinging bridge has a thread somewhere that goes in depth on poop findings. Might search that, its a good read.
Bucks,ducks, turkeys,and bass!
Motivated
500 Club

Unread postby Motivated » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Work hard, stay humble, be kind.
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:22 am

I did a quick search before I posted but didn't come up with this thread. Thanks

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”