Diving in to the Beast Way

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cvanderpool

Diving in to the Beast Way

Unread postby Cvanderpool » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:27 pm

I discovered the Beast in January and later joined. Ive always thought i should be doing something different to increase my number of encounters with bucks. All my encounters were seemingly random and usually during the rut. I thought if i knew where bucks were bedding i could force the issue, maybe i could cut them off before dark. I just didnt know how to find bedding and didn't try. It seemed like finding a needle in a haystack. And I never bought in that bucks had predictable patterns. I would occasionally stumble across a bed in woods or CRP and say "look a bed...."

So, The Beast and Dans videos have convinced me that bucks can be patterned and I need to scout. I have been finding beds where i expect to find them by looking at aerial maps but today I feel ive found a good, overlooked primary area.

There are dozens of beds full of hair, the fresh 4finger track. Belly/chest high rub in a bed. All this in an Oaktree fence row between Ag and water. Very similar to a long oak island. And on top of all that i found a party balloon near the beds. 1 spot logged time to find more. I am enjoying the svouting. Its almost like getting to hunt year round.

dan
Site Owner
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuntingBeast/?ref=bookmarks

Re: Diving in to the Beast Way

Unread postby dan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:09 pm

ITS A COOL FEELING WHEN IT ALL STARTS TO CLICK... 8-)
Wetfoot
500 Club

Unread postby Wetfoot » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 pm

Welcome to the BEAST!
OUBrew

Unread postby OUBrew » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am

I'm right with you....exciting times ahead. I'm fired up to get out and keep scouting with the new info from Dan and the experienced crew on here.
burtle

Unread postby burtle » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:15 am

Welcome!!
peteherbst

Unread postby peteherbst » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:20 am

Similar story here. However convincing the wife that I need to be in the woods more in the offseason as well as putting in stand time has been a challenge. :lol:
“You have to pay your dues”
strutnrut716
500 Club

Unread postby strutnrut716 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:45 am

peteherbst wrote:Similar story here. However convincing the wife that I need to be in the woods more in the offseason as well as putting in stand time has been a challenge. :lol:

Take her with you, a few times. They are always looking to find ways to have "quality time" with us. Hiking and finding beds or coming along glassing and shining are just a few ideas. Just a few times along and she should/could understand the need for year round scouting, etc.

Just food for thought ....

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”