Smart critters and Hunter courtesy.

Discuss the science of figuring out our prey through good detective work.
  • Advertisement

HB Store

Cvanheel

Smart critters and Hunter courtesy.

Unread postby Cvanheel » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Scouted on a new chunk of public today. Was following a transition line (hardwoods to brushy marsh.) I was out on this tiny little point that juts out towards a island that sits about 65 yards off it's point. I found probably the best buck beds I've ever seen. There is two defined trails heading out of the bedding one heads to the island, which has probably 40 or so oaks growing on it. The other one I followed, and it follows the transition line 30 yards back to the main land then turns and follows the transition line for another 50 yards then cuts up and into the woods heading towards what was corn fields last year or in that direction anyways. Right were the trail turns to follow the transition I found a solid tree that I could sneak to and get to within 25 yards of the trail about 55 yards from the bedding, and have a nw wind work perfect for me. As im patting myself on the back im standing at the base of the tree I want to hunt out of looking back into the the timber when I noticed it 60 yards away. Some fella hauled in a ladder stand way back in there and left it. This property and the way a good portion of the public is around here has rules against leaving stands overnight, and this things been here since last fall lol. The funny thing is the way the trail runs from the bedding the deer are moving around this thing within 85 yards of it but sitting in that stand you can never see them. I guess what my questions are is first being since the guy is a lazy cheat and the deer are obviously using the area anyways would any of you guys throw a stand at that side of the bedding knowing you were setting up within 100 yards of the other stand, or would you focus on the island which I can access by water, or would you just walk away from it knowing there is some pressure that close?

Matt Gill
500 Club

Re: Smart critters and Hunter courtesy.

Unread postby Matt Gill » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:10 am

I’d throw a hunt at it for sure! Sounds like you kind of answered your own question by saying the trail showed deer just veering around the stand. Obviously there on to him and rather then leave they just avoid his spot. Give it a shot early before that guy burns it up, and you will know for sure after that. Good luck
HunterBob
500 Club

Unread postby HunterBob » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:19 am

Would not hesitate to hunt 100 yds away from someone who is not following legal rules anyway
freezeAR
500 Club

Unread postby freezeAR » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 am

I would try to determine what the buck was headed for at the time of the year you hunt it. Seasonal crop and acorn timing should help you decide what trail to cover.
Crazinamatese

Unread postby Crazinamatese » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:40 am

Notify the DNR ASAP about the stand and maybe the other guy won't come back once he finds it missing.
The cave you fear hides the treasure you seek!!!
218er
500 Club

Unread postby 218er » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:13 am

I’m not sure if a co in your area would do anything but try and send the gps coordinates. Some love confiscating stands. I bumped into one yesterday. Menards big dog 15ft ladder. I have a similar one their a tank, so I can see why they get left in the woods. If the deer have adjusted it’s possible it has been there for years. Set up based on that knowledge and you should be golden.
Persistence is undefeated.

• Advertisement

Return to “Scouting”